1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hard Brake Lines

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by day7a1, Apr 16, 2010.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I read somewhere on this forum not to install any hard brake lines, but the reason given was that it would be too difficult to change your brake lever position. After buying some brake line to prop up my saddle bags, i have decided that, as often as I have changed my brake lever position, the lack of expense of hard brake line makes the extremely rare change worth the price, plus I like the look.

Is there any safety or technical reason to not use hard brake line in place of the UPPER brake line on my 82 XJ650? I know the lower one wouldn't work at all! Also I would put a 360 in the line at least at one place in order to account for vibrations and the like.

And why are there two brake lines with a joint in the middle anyway? If not a hard and a flexible line, can I just run a flexible line?

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

how would you attach a banjo fitting to a steel line ?
    the seca's with the remote master cylinder have a steel line from the
    m c to the splitter but it's only a few inches long
    you can loose the splitter and run two lines right from the master cylinder

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There are REASONS that solid lines aren't used on bikes, except for very short runs as Polock mentioned.
    Just as solid fuel lines aren't a good idea either.

Mr. P is right on the other point though, there is no safety issue with running lines directly from the M/C to the calipers if you want. I think the use of the junction is simply a matter of aesthetics, so only one line comes away from the M/C.

4. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Right now I only have one caliper. I haven't worked too hard on the issue yet, but the hard line appears to connect directly to the MC without the 90 degree bend that the banjo fitting allows. The threading may not be the same, but that's a technical issue that doesn't need discussion.

I realize there are probably good reasons hard brake lines aren't used, I just cant figure out what they are if you are only running 14" from MC to junction.

And yes, for some reason there is a junction with only one brake line. I don't get it.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

one reason is you can't twist the lever up or down, you covered that
    another would be vibration working on the steel line, it might work fine but if the line should ever crack the brakes are done
    if you change bars you bend a new line
    should you ever need to take the throttle/master cylinder off, you need to bleed the brakes
    it would be a pain in the a$$ to bend a line like that, for me anyway :)
    but
    i think some custom choppers have fancy chrome lines there
    i don't look at the new fancy crusiers but they may have them too

6. day7a1

day7a1 Member

The vibration on the line would be the only issue I can think of that makes the idea prohibitive, but I work with other machinery that has much stronger vibration and uses similar lines without a problem.

I know some motorcycles have them.

It would probably just be easier to buy a 41" steel braided line from mikesxs for the $28. It's longer than what I need by 4", but I don't think that will make it excessively long. I can put that excess where the joint is now, and it would be fine. I just moved to straighter bars, so all my lines are a little excessive now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the hard lines wouldn't have the right threading anyways.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

chacal carries stainless steel lines in all the correct lengths plus can do custom for you; and they come in colors.

An extra 4" of stainless line could be a problem, it's not as flexy as the rubber lines.

I had custom uppers made for both of my bikes with the lower bars.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Z1
    any size you want

9. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

There is also a line kit (Magnum brand) you can order from Deninis Kirk that includes several different lengths of brake line (3 ft., 6 ft., 12 ft. etc.)and the proper ends to make you own custom fit lines. They are stainless steel lines too! The ends are sold separately with several different bends (90 degree, 45 degree, etc.) so you are able to make them fit to your specifications.
    I have not had the privelage of using this type of brake line kit for bikes, but will probably use it when switching my Seca remote master cylinder over to a handlebar unit. The kit will run you around $50 to $70 depending on the length of line you order and the ends needed in your particular application. Just thought I'd throw it out there as another option.