1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Has anybody ridden a Suzuki Marauder 800?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by thefox, Aug 6, 2006.

1. thefox

thefox Member

So I have a option to get a 1998 Suzuki Marauder 800. It has 5,000 miles, runs well, has a windshield and soft bags. It will need new tires and a good cleaning as it has been stored outside so the aluminum is starting to oxidize and there is a little pitting on some of the chrome. Being that it is $1100 I don't know if I can pass it up even though I still like the Seca which I would have to sell.

So, has anybody ridden one? How does it feel, (smooth? ok power? alright handling? brakes? etc.?) Any know problems? This would be a go anywhere bike (like the Seca is now) so I would be doing normal short trips along with 400 mile trips to school.

2. srinath

srinath Member

1100 - its worth it. Chain drive - and some quirks along with carbs that were just stupid - but for that $$ you can miss.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

3. thefox

thefox Member

What quirks? Anything I should look for when I inspect it?

4. srinath

srinath Member

OK Where do I begin -
    Mine was a cherry shape VX800 91 year. I paid a volvo for it, which was promptly laughed at whenever I drove it anywhere ... so I'd say it was a deal ... Then I sold it after fixing a little - rear brakes, and handlebars mainly - for ~1200 - mine was cherry - older but really sweet. OK the quirks -
    The carbs - insane design - the front carb is a side draft proper vertical slide - like a maxim's ... The rear carb looked like that same carb was like crushed by a bus ... whole thing was crooked and jagged and crumpled ... They had this freaking insane linkage/cables/whtever ... OK you fiddle with them and you're stuffed ... I am a carb genius - I mean ... dont mean to brag, but I can jet carbs if you send me the carbs, I can trouble shoot carb problems from people's description - especially GS500 ... these near about stumped me. Very very luckily - I left them alone and they never died on me.
    The VX being a sport standard - tons of torque, decent power but didn't need to rev ... and vibrating like a cruiser ... feels great ... Just another V twin cruiser - the marauder ... dunno how special it will feel ... but screw it ... $1100 I wont think twice ... or thrice ... OK yea I wont think thrice ...
    I mean Maxim with 4 cyl but being cruiser = cool, Sport bike with V twin is cool. What's the big deal if its opposite. BTW VX800 is shaft drive ... marauder is chain eeeeewwww ...
    If it was closer to me I'd maybe give ya a run for it ... baaaah ... I wont ... but anyway ... buy it and post about it here ... Maybe if you wanna get rid of it I'll want it ...
    Cool.
    Srinath.

5. thefox

thefox Member

Well thanks for all the help Srinath but unfortunatly the deal fell through. One of my friends was at the BMW dealer getting his bike serviced and saw the Suzuki there. The owner said it was just traded in and he didn't want to deal with it so when my friend went back the next morning to get it for me but the dealer said it was already sold. So unless someone came in and bought it in the 20 minutes after he left or a person who works there bougt it. Anyways I don't have it so thats what matters. Lookslike I will be keeping the Seca.