1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Head gasket, 1982 maxim 650.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Corey, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Corey

Corey New Member

Part of me believes that I just bought a basket case, when we pulled the carb, I tried taking out some of the hex bolts for the boots, and the two I tried snapped right off. Also, the nut for the oil filter was stripped, and my sockets to remove those just shredded it into a perfect circle before it broke free. We tried pb blaster and heat also, so I will have to figure out those down the road as well. I'm frustrated because I love the bike but I just wanna sell it because I feel like it needs a total rebuild and I could probably buy a harley by the time I done with that.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All of these things are fixable. Slow down, be patient and listen to the advice given.

The fuel dumping out is the carbs needing to be gone through again. If the float needles and float needle seat gaskets were not replaced the first time you had the carbs apart, then they should be replaced now.

You failed to mention the broken intake boot screws. Unless you extracted the remainders, and refitted the boots with new gaskets, this is where the whistle is coming from.

Again, all of this is fixable. You did not buy a lemon. You did not buuy a basket case (those come in kit form). You bought an old motorcycle that was neglected. It's the same thng the rest of us did, and we are all riding. Listen to our advice, work through everything, and you will be riding too (for far less than the cost of a HD (which will need maintainance caught up on too)).

Go back to the second post in this thread and read, read, read. Then take the carbs back off and follow the procedures in the Church of Clean. No shortcuts.

Once the carbs are off post up pics of the intake boot trouble and we can advise on how to get the broken machine screws out.

3. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

We can completely relate because we've all been there.The questions we've asked are to help us help you troubleshoot, pin-point and fix (not rig) the problem(s) as quickly as we can.

Gary H.

4. Jadds

Jadds Member

I wonder if Corey ever got his XJ back on the road. - seriously.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

cory has never been back after the last post mar 20 2016 so I would guess he never fixed it

6. Jadds

Jadds Member

bummer