1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Headlight Dimming and wiring problems…

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Jason Piccolo, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Jason Piccolo

Jason Piccolo Member Premium Member

Greetings

1983 XJ 550 Maxim owner here…

Problems I can’t seem to get a handle on;

1) HEADLIGHT STRENGTH OF BEAM
    My headlight dims unsustainably unless i rev engine to like 5million RPMs. I’ve done a host of troubleshooting on wiring and connections per advice here on this site, but nada. My last recourse is perhaps the Alternator Brushes? Trouble is when i search for a ‘how to’ the video (and images) I’ve found look nothing like my arrangement. Picture attached is my set up. And I poked around in there, but can’t see to find anything that mirrors what I’ve been told or seen online.

2) TURN SIGNAL WIRING
    can’t for the love of god make these shitty turn signals work. When i got the bike, it had LED signals, but no associated LED mods/add ons to make them work properly. I have decided to (for now) simply put basic cheap signals onto the bike to get it WORKING…Then down the road replace with nicer / better parts. Trouble is that no matter how i wire them, nothing works. I’ve tried with a volt meter every point in the system and power is coming to everything (as I’ve been told about the levels here) normally. The lights (although they’re shitty) work fine when connected directly to the battery. I’m beside myself confused. So, any walkthroughs on how i can possibly bypass the whole deal and put in NEW wiring? At this point it would be a better path.

Attached Files:

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Have you checked all the wiring plugs on the harness for corrosion causing voltage drop? That picture is your ignition pickups the alternator brushes are behind the alternator cover to the left of the starter motor.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  3. Jason Piccolo

as much as I am savvy enough to do... don't have a real clear picture of what goes where. but we've tested all the points, at the switch, the inputs, etc and the power readings were status quo.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Alternator cover above and to the left of the gearbox sprocket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283086752399

Set a multimeter to 20V DC and put the probes across the battery with the engine running. You should have around 14.4 volts if I remember correctly if your alternator is charging the battery. Test before buying parts. You have to rev the engine to 2000 rpm before the alternator output kicks in and therfore is seen on the meter.

Did you check all the grounds to the frame are clean and tight? Do you have any rust or dirt on bulb sockets, handlebar switch contacts, flasher relay or damaged insulation on wiring? Spray contacts with WD40.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Do you have a wiring diagram? A Haynes manual will have it. There is a screw missing on the pickup at the top left.

6. Jason Piccolo

Thank you for your walkthru. Got them switched out.