1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Heavy rain, bike cuts off

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tabaka45, May 16, 2018.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It might be that a coil is failing. Temp related failure is not uncommon in older coils.

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I hope not, cause it’s running really well except for the wet issue.

3. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

To me it sounds like your caps are not protecting well against water. I'd say to try the NGK caps I suggested. They're only a few dollars a piece, and they're easy to replace.

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

After a good bit of reading, I discovered that dielectric grease could be used on spark plug caps to provide waterproofing and prevent arcing. So I have coated the inside rubber of the cap and also the inside of the cover where the wire inters the cap. We’ll see if that helps. If not then I’ll look at replacing caps and wires.

Interestingly, what I read said not to coat the metal on the plug or inside the cap. It said that dielectric grease is not a conductor but an insulator and might increase resistance. Yesterday I coated the wire endings and the screw tips in the caps. I didn’t notice any change in the way the engine ran, but I may try to clean those and just stick with the rubber parts. So I learned something because up until now I used dielectric grease on electrical connections thinking it improved the connections. Live and learn.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Any good fitting terminal will scrape off the grease and allow for good contact.
    Applying dielectric grease was SOP when I was doing machine maintenance.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

dielectric grease is also known as bulb grease and is smeared onto the bulb base. thats metal

k-moe likes this.