1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Heet - how much to use?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by VeggieLaine, Apr 20, 2012.

1. VeggieLaine

VeggieLaine Member

Two questions here...

I recently tipped/dropped by bike (I'm a newbie - don't be hard on me) and gas was coming out the filler cap. I read this is normal. My question is... if gas comes out so easily, does that mean water can get in as easily?

We recently washed my bike and I am having some stalling issues now. I'm wondering if some water may have got in with my gas....

Second question: I got some Heet water remover. How much should I use? The bottle says to use a full bottle with 20 gallons of gas. Should I follow those guidelines and fraction down to approx 1/6 of the bottle, or is there a different amount you would recommend that varies from what the bottle says?

Thanks!

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

If you really think there is water in your tank, you should siphon the corners first, collecting the gas in a clear container, like a 2 liter Pepsi bottle.

Get 1/4 inch hose and zip-tie a bolt near the end to weigh it down - - watch the "sender" float.

You will want to "burn the tank" after adding HEET, then top-up before going home, to reduce the ill effects of METHANOL in 30 year old carbs.

Fresh gas contains ETHANOL at 5.9% minimum, federally mandated, which is supposed to absorb water, however, I believe it is already pretty much saturated by the time we buy it.

I've even added a measured amount of water to fresh gas ( yes, I get that bored) and found it pulls the alcohol out of the gas, rather than being absorbed into the gas.

The resulting water then burns, proving it's above 80 proof.

3. fakeplay

fakeplay Member

I'll drink to that !

4. VeggieLaine

VeggieLaine Member

I think I understand the siphoning.

What does burn the tank mean? :?

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Use up all the gas by going for a nice long ride, so that when you fill it up it's all nice fresh gas.

You want to get as much of the treated fuel out of there as you can as soon as you can.

Did you by any chance wash the bike at a high-pressure coin-op car wash? DO NOT do that; you can drive water into all sorts of places it's not supposed to be. Low pressure from the garden hose only.

6. VeggieLaine

VeggieLaine Member

I searched posts on washing when I got the bike. It was done in the driveway and rinsed with a garden hose.

Thanks

7. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Theres a gas cap rebuild kit available from Chacal @ XJ4ever here. New seals & such all these 30 year old bikes need. If your tank leaks gas from the cap, you need this.

8. VeggieLaine

VeggieLaine Member

I read in other posts on this site that it was completely normal for gas to leak from the filler cap when the bike is tipped :?

I don't know much (or anything :lol: ) about it, so I just search for other posts on the site. I'll see if I can find it again and repost it in here to see if I misunderstood :oops:

9. VeggieLaine

VeggieLaine Member

Here is the post that I was referring to above:

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=11842.html

I don't mind buying the parts if you think I need it. I just have a lot of other replacements budgeted and don't wanna change out anything I don't need to at this time.

I don't smell gas or anything when the bike is vertical. I just had it leaking from the cap when the bike went horizontal...

Thanks for your input and help!

10. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Usually you will smell gas if the seal on the cap is bad. It's easy enough to check. You can download a pdf file of the gas cap rebuild at xj4ever.com

And yes, they will leak fuel when tipped horizontal 99 out of 100 times, even with new seals.

11. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Its probably unrealistic to expect a leakproof seal (minus the small air vent). My bikes never been down but I did overfill the tank once & ruined my beautiful rattlecan paint job LOL cuz the fuel level raises slightly after filling. Im hoping Chacals rebuild kit will at least prevent reoccurance of this.

12. RobDrech

RobDrech Member

If you washed the bike and it's running funky, I would not rule out cracked coils. I used to have skipping and popping after I washed the bike or got caught in the rain.

I fixed mine (at least I think did), by putting three good coats of liquid electrical tape, letting each coat dry for a minimum of two hours in between. I really gooped it on and forced in every nook making sure to coat a portion of the steel mount bases.