1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hello...and Small Frame Tear

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ManBot13, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I've been addicted to this forum for some time now and finally joined. Here's my story:
    I bought a 1982 XJ750RJ in October for what I still think was a pretty good deal. I recently bought a house, so I couldn't afford a "nice" motorcycle, and felt like this would be a good use of my garage. The bike ran, but the PO told me that he had to use starter fluid (also had pods) and that the rear brake was locking up.

Moving it around my garage, I noticed that the right front brake was dragging, and upon closer examination, there was a small tear running along the frame between the right front and rear engine mounts. Paint has flaked off and there is rust around the edges, and it kind bulges. My first impression was that is was a small crack from an accident that has grown, because the weld on the right exhaust collector under the frame that has opened up too, the right brake pedal is bent slightly, etc.

Is this fixable? I'd rather not have to search for a titled frame, and I'm finally in the process of removing everything off the frame so I can easily transport it and clean everything really well...and hopefully get it running.

Attached Files:

2. NZXJ750RIDER

NZXJ750RIDER Member

dude first mistake was when you said you couldnt afford a "nice" bike wot you have there is a piece of motorcycling history and a fantastic bike to boot the second mistake was makin it sound like you just needed something to fill ya garage oh my god wtf guys i know would give there left testi to own one of these finally yes it would be fixable i dunno bout there but here yeah its all good to fix a frame split but needs to be checked by a certifier after the repair is done and before painting i do no plenty guys that have done the repairs themselves with no issues

3. Big_Ross

Big_Ross Member

I had a split like that on my XT500. I wrapped fibreglass tape around it, gave it plenty of resin, a coat of paint, and seven years later it's still together. That's the slack way of doing it.
    If you strip things down a bit, any competent welder will braze that together in a flash. (That's BRAZE, not WELD)

NZXJ750RIDER, what is this crap about "certifiers"? Tell the bastards nothing! Nobody EVER got pulled over by a cop and told "Hey Buddy, that's illegal welding you got there."

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

ManBot, you're looking at freeze damage, not collision damage. A recent thread:

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... tml#131506

had another split and the guy was thinking of grafting in a section from another frame. I think that's excessive. The Braze repair sounds good.
    I read on another bike site that some SOB vandal cut both downtubes with a hacksaw, the owner rode it that way, noticing some loose handling, eventually seeing his cut frame !!

And welcome to XJBikes !

5. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

The frame is simple steel. Any competent welder could graft in some round steel stock of a similar gauge. Paint it with black POR-15 paint and you're good to go!

My friend, You DO have a nice bike, and they're a bargain to boot. These were the sport bike to own when they first came out and although there are liter bikes with double the HP, these guys still pull like freight trains and corner tight enough to put a grin on your face.

Chacal, here on the list can get you nearly any part for bargain prices at OEM or better quality. He has fast shipping and excellent communications skills.

Fix the bike, you won't regret it.

6. ManBot13

Sorry to get off on the wrong foot NZXJ750RIDER. By "nice" I meant something running and ready to go (wrong choice of words).

And by good use of my garage, I meant that this is the first time in my life that I could start a project like this and I am making the most of it. I'll admit that I didn't know the history of this bike when I bought it, and only found out about its following months later, but I'm hoping I'll be worthy of it when it's all done.

Thanks for the responses and I'll look in brazing soon!

7. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

You wont regret it. These things are beautiful if you're willing to put the time and the effort into making her your own. Patience is key. Which is WTH i wonder why i got this bike! lol. my GF tells me I got no patience. Bah.

8. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

That is a easy fix with a welder. Be sure to find the place where the water had got into the frame and fix it, better yet keep the bike in your garage or shed and out of the weather.

9. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Gentlemen, shouldn't he make sure that he "replaces" the hole that probably got plugged up and caused the problem in the first place? If I temember correctly a drain hole was part of the original factory frame.

10. NZXJ750RIDER

NZXJ750RIDER Member

big_ross its not the being pulled over and told its an illegal weld its every 6 months when shes in for a wof seen it happen plenty times as im in the industry and it aint just bikes its cars aswell

11. Big_Ross

Big_Ross Member

NZXJ750RIDER, WTF is a WOF? (Is it NZ for a female spouse? As in " I now pronounce you man and wof".)

12. NZXJ750RIDER

NZXJ750RIDER Member

haha your a dick sorry wof is short for warrant of fitness which every vehicle need every 6 months unless of course its a new car and then its once a year for the first five years

13. desertrat

desertrat Member

I have the same problem with my frame. I'm leaning towards a new frame. I'm worried that there are other sections of the frame that are equally as weak, just waiting to break open. I'd like to think I'm buying a little peace of mind.... and yet any frame that old could have a weak point just waiting to pop.

14. ManBot13

Thanks for all of the advice. I finally got around to finding someone to weld it and he did a pretty good job.
    I chose to fix the frame because I pretty confident in it structurally. Also, in Massachusetts, USA, the only inspection rules are that the frame can't be damaged and the fix can't be temporary, there's no mention of certification or the like.
    Now to start rebuilding it

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

just today i set my stripped seca frame up on the rear frame and back wheel and had about 1/2 shot glass of black water come out of the frame, it looks like water can run down the single tube frame in the rear of the bike into the shock mount gusset and into the tube that goes down under the engine
    looks like a good place to pack some bubble gum

16. ManBot13

Yeah I noticed those two holes in the back of the frame last night. They seemed like the only place water could have gotten into my frame as there were no other cracks or broken welds on the topside of the frame.
    Should I try to replace the drain hole (I don't appear to have one) as mentioned before? Where would I put it and how big? Or should I just keep it indoors for the winter (was gonna do this anyway)