1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help identify engine for valve clearances

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Vaderham, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Vaderham

Vaderham New Member

Hey all, I hope you're well.

I'm working on getting the valve clearances sorted on my XJ650, but being from New Zealand, I'm having some trouble identifying exactly what the clearances should be.

The Haynes manual I've worked from mentions two sets of clearances, the XJ650J and XJ650(UK):

clearances.PNG

The reason I'm not sure if that my bike has a frame/engine number 14R-000219, which follows the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual for the UK XJ650, but I'm not sure about the engine type. (Noted on chacal's master thread as "NOTE: styling and features the same as North American XJ650RJ Seca model, has dual front disc brakes, an oil cooler, and uses a YICS-equipped engine")

Does anyone know where I can find out exactly which type of engine I have and what clearances I should be aiming for?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Add 700 airheads and 900 engines to that list...........and 650 Turbo engines use the same clearances as all other 650 engines.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Thanks for the correction. I was just unsure enough that I didn't want to list those.

5. Vaderham

Vaderham New Member

Awesome, guys. Thanks for that. Wonder how many of these bikes had their valves set incorrectly before these kinds of corrections became known...

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

does it say YICS in the crank shaft covers?
    how does the valve cover bolt down? if it has a donut under the bolt head it will be YICS
    nonyics.PNG yics.PNG