1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HELP! Is having a rev limiter necessary? Digital speedometer install.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Shabby cube, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Metal filler is going to struggle there - what happens is that the pressure builds up behind it, and there is nothing stopping it lifting away.
    I would drill and tap the plug, pull it and make a new one - maybe you have a machine shop locally that can make you one?
    Tried chacal?

k-moe likes this.
  2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Would a helicoil work?

3. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

The thing is.. there was some brown "stuff" there before, and it looked really stupid.. So I removed it, since oil has been seeping out there. So it is possible, it WAS blocked..

What I'm cusious about is what the f*** that "port" is, why is it there? and why is it leaking?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not in that application. Tapping the bore for a threaded plug (as the factory did in about 1/2 of the heads) will make for an oiltight seal, or a new plug can be pressed in.

Franz and Shabby cube like this.
  5. k-moe

That is where the oil gallery for the exhaust cam was drilled during production of the head. The plug was either a press fit, or a threaded bolt with sealant. Both were used by the factory to seal the oil gallery.
    You have another set of plugs on the intake cam oil gallery.

Shabby cube likes this.
  6. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

This sucks tho, isn't drilling into that thing gonna put metal shavings inside the oil gallery then? Anybody know how deep that thing goes?

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It must go all the way under the camshafts to feed oil to the cam journals. Misunderstood you mean the depth of the plug or threaded bolt.

Shabby cube likes this.
  8. k-moe

1. YOU won't be doing the drilling, a machine shop will.

2. The drilling to remove the plug will not go all the way through the plug, it will be removed with a puller after there is a hole and threads made in the plug for the puller to grab. (this is the ideal method, but it dosen't always work. The alternative methods do produce chips that can potentially get into the oil gallery, but that is dealt with later).

If a threaded plug is used instead of a pressed-in plug the hole will be threaded with grease on the tap that will catch all of the chips. The oil gallery will then be flushed out from the inside of the passages (oil/ solvent/ metal cutting coolant (depending on the shop) will come out of the open end of the oil gallery, washing any remaining debris out with it).

3. It runs all the way out the other side of the head. You'll find another plug on the opposite side of the engine.

4. While not a common failure, it is one that machine shops around the word get to do on all sorts of machinery several times per year.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Shabby cube likes this.
  9. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

Thanks you K-moe! How expensive are machinists tho? I agree it’s scary to drill there and letting a professional do it would be best.. peace of mind and that

10. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

It's one of those jobs not hard to do, but easy to cock up. Drilling all the way through the plug would be classed as cockup No1. Don't be under the impression that any bike shop could do this job, it needs some (simple) but careful engineering.

Shabby cube and k-moe like this.
  11. k-moe

That will vary. I was quoted $100 for a more difficult, but similar job to repair a messed up threaded hole and rebuild the part of it that was missing. Your job should not be more than that, and might be less. A replacement (used) head will cost more, and that's without shipping.
    Call around and get quotes. Have the pic ready to email, and let them know that you have it.

Shabby cube likes this.
  12. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Those metal epoxies will make a quick and painless repair. What have you got to lose?
    I patched a broken water pump housing on the kids dirt bike, even had a chunk missing. Rode for a year then sold it with the repair still holding.

Shabby cube likes this.
  13. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

Like JB weld? I mean why not try right? Im suspecting it won’t work because of oil pressure, but wouldn’t cost me much to try..

14. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

890AE6A0-3F1E-4BA0-A437-DBC2AB4BD66E.jpeg 244D8FD8-3FED-49FA-9C97-3115E9488536.jpeg Sorry for the delay, COVID got me depressed and out of money there for a while, but I’m back at it! Rode the bike with a leak for a while and had a really good time!

I went to a local cylinder service shop and paid 1300 nok (130 £ ish ) to block the oil leak! Pretty okey price, did it in one day.

The bike is now gangster with a gold tooth yo!
    ( great to be able to lean into a corner without having oil dripping onto the rear wheel hehe)

15. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

MORE ISSUES THO!

Like I said, I’ve been riding a bit, smaller trips. But issues occurred when I tried taking the bike in the highway.... engine started bogging down and eventually stopped. This happened a few times. First time I assumed it was out of fuel. The tank was low, but not empty. But I filled up and it started up again. Hmm curious. But it kept happening. It would bog out, I would then spend some time checking fuel lines, chokes system, air filters, battery... and then it would magically start again...

I started thinking it was a too large main jet, maybe high rpms was drowning the engine?

then I did some research and realized: this is the excavator symptoms of engine overheating .... I had filled too much oil when I did the oil change last year.... didn’t think it was that big of a problem right... hehehe. So, too a sample of the oil, to check the state of it: 820D389A-A550-4822-A7F7-059D46A31FE3.jpeg bubbles...... oil looks like whipped cream ...

Long story short, gonna do oil and oil filter change CORRECTLY... and pray to the MC gods that I haven’t done too much damage to the engine.

pray with me guys

16. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

Changing the oil and oil filter didnt help, still bogs out under acceleration and get difficult to start.

17. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

Turns out a clogged fuel filter can cause lean condition/overheating/bogging out. Replaced fuel filter with washable version. Rode bike all day without issues

chacal and Franz like this.
  18. Shabby cube

Shabby cube Member

… Rode bike a full season! Very happy with it! This winter I am replacing the strange xj handlebars with some MX bars.

ISSUE: I needed to stretch the cables from the handlebar. I bought a cable repair kit and some outer wire housing for bicycles and clutch wire at 1.5mm thickness. It operates fine now that I fitted it on the bike, but I can’t help but worry that the MUCH thinner clutch cable I fitted on will crumble under the force of the clutch… Is “clutch wire thickness” important? Or can I relax as long as it operates well for now?

(Good place to buy thick clutch cables anyone?) E2EC821B-21E6-42E1-8D1A-D0C72787F993.jpeg 31539DDC-DC20-4B4E-85AC-BE2B770BF925.jpeg 748BFF6F-E0BC-4D4C-B11F-8443ECCD630A.jpeg