1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hey peeps xj750d owners??????

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Steveb, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Oh boy. Any chance they still have the original setup? I seriously doubt you will find one on eBay, or anywhere else for that matter! Perhaps on a Japanese field trip!

2. Steveb

Steveb Member

It does seem that carb work is going to be needed took her out the highway today and nice acceleration to 150kph than starts to stutter and hesitate

Just looked on eBay nope rare as hens teeth I say at this stage

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Oh well, even with carbs, it is still a special bike. Are the carbs on yours Hitachi? They have a little "spaceship" logo on the side of the carb body. Xj4ever catalog, link at top right corner, has TONS of info on what the 750 Seca and Maxim use in stock form. Could help you to get it right.

Steveb likes this.
  4. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Wow. Very nice score. Congrats to you there!! More pictures needed now

Steveb likes this.
  5. Steveb

Steveb Member

Will do when not raining but hard to say when that is here it's always raining lol Monday maybe

6. Ken Raine

Ken Raine New Member

Hey, mate, have you still got your 750D? I'm in Australia and just picked one up

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

very rare bike. picks please!

I have to wonder if Yamaha really intended the FI for the Turbo but needed to rush it to the market?
    The carbs actually work pretty good on the Seca Turbo but conventionally, everything else in the automotive/motorcycle world turbocharged is FI.

8. XJ-750D Guy

XJ-750D Guy New Member

I'm a proud owner of a (factory built 1982) Registered 1984 XJ-750D here in New Zealand.
    Very very cool bike! Love it.

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hey XJ750-D guy, pictures of your bike would be great to show-off on this website!

Timbox likes this.
  10. XJ-750D Guy

XJ-750D Guy New Member

Certainly, I think I may have one that was taken at our local Moto-social a couple of months ago. The only thing that is not stock are the exhausts, I hope to eventually find a pair of the original Black ones.
    It's being worked on at the moment due to the Fuel pump failing and the original fuel filter disintegrated and clogged the injectors, not to mention the amount of rust in the tank :/ I'll post some pics of the tank as well so you can see how neglected this beauty was.
    I had to carry tools with me in my backpack just in case the front brakes locked up as the left Anti Dive system was clogged and would not let the piston down after applying the brakes causing the left Caliper piston to not retract.
    This was my first official ride on this day the photo was taken.
    My XJ-750D 5G8 N22.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  11. XJ-750D Guy

XJ-750D Guy New Member

That's a real shame it was converted to Carb Setup.

I was eyeing my XJ750D up on TradeMe, had never seen one before and thought this must be a rare bike.
    What struck me first was that it reminded me of the error I grew up in and with watching shows like Knight Rider and owning a couple of MK II Toyota Supras with the all-digital dash clusters it just really hit the Nostalgia nerve in my man brain.
    Unfortunately I missed out on the auction as I just didn't quite have enough money at the time to spare as other bills had come up.

I'm a Vehicle Detailer by trade and had detailed a couple of Jags for a customer while working for a Detailing Business, shortly after I was made redundant (Covid!).
    Unknowingly this particular customer had come back to the shop (which was now a paint and panel shop) asking for me as he wanted me specifically to work on his collection of cars, he ended up leaving his details.
    When I went to pick up the rest of my detailing gear from the now panel and paint shop, they gave me his details.
    I gave him a ring and he invited me over to have a look at his collection and work out some sort of deal for the work on all his classic Jags, Daimlers, and a 1930's/40's Buick.
    He was showing me around the workshop and his downstairs showroom with his prized collection when I noticed something tucked away in the corner behind one of the cars.
    I took a step back and had another look....... To my absolute surprise LOW and BEHOLD! it was the XJ-750D from the TradeMe Auction that I lost out on!

I immediately asked him about it and asked if he'd sell it and told him about the auction. He could see I was disheartened and that I loved this bike. He said; " I don't really know what I intend to do with it" " You can possibly take it off my hands"
    So ended up making a deal with him for $3K Cash and some free details.
    The bike needed a bit of electrical work done and new exhausts etc which he took upon himself to do as the deal was that it had to have Registration and W.O.F ( Warrent Of Fitness) before I handed over the cash.
    4 months later I took her home.

After my first official ride the Fuel pump decided it no longer wanted to live in this relm and left me stranded at a gas station lol.
    So she's now spending the next few months getting all the fuel system sorted out, getting new rubber and a full on mechanical check over so it's ready for summer and lots of memories to be made.

This is the first bill... All the work is estimated to cost just over $3K

20230919_172904.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023