1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HG's New toy.

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Hired_Goon, May 27, 2006.

1. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Picked up another bike yesterday. 78 XS 1100 E. Almost complete, just missing one side cover and the seat. Been sitting for a while so the tank and carbs are gummy.

Couple of extra pics of the restoration "Project" can be found here.
    http://hiredgoon.cafe150.com/toys/Wildebeast.html

Basically it's down to cleaning the carbs and see if it runs before I go spending too many bucks on it. Compression is good and the battery is charging so I can check spark.

Attached Files:

2. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Ooh those carbs look pretty nasty. Sounds like a good find. So, you bought it not running? I'm guessing it didn't cost too much?

3. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Yep Sno, Bought not running. Compression is good and generally the bike is in good nick. Wiring is all complete, not a single cut wire anywhere. Tyres are both new.

There is always a risk with not running but the price was good. Paid $500AUD (approx $380US) So if there is any problems I could make my money back in parts.

Three XS1100's have been on ebay over here in the last month and have all sold for between $1800 and $2500AUD.

Carbs are all clean and ready for reassembly today. Hopefully might have her running within a week.

4. tupperj

tupperj New Member

HG,

I've been riding one of these for 4 or 5 years. Put 19,000 miles on it so far. You'll find the bike is pretty bullet proof, and capable of some serious cruising. I'm leaving on a 2,500 mile trip to across the US in a couple of days. My daughter is riding along on an 81 XJ650 Maxim.

I'm sure you've found www.xs11.com, lots of great info and great people. If I can be of any help, please give me a shout.

Enjoy, be safe.
    Paul

5. tupperj

tupperj New Member

HG,

I've been riding one of these for 4 or 5 years. Put 19,000 miles on it so far. You'll find the bike is pretty bullet proof, and capable of some serious cruising. I'm leaving on a 2,500 mile trip to across the US in a couple of days. My daughter is riding along on an 81 XJ650 Maxim.

I'm sure you've found www.xs11.com, lots of great info and great people. If I can be of any help, please give me a shout.

Enjoy, be safe.
    Paul

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Good score HG! I've owned two of those beasts and they were very good rides. Heavy but powerful.

7. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Yep, XS11.com is now my friend too. The similatiries between the XJ and XS means there's not too much I don't already know what to look for but always good to see what others are doing.

Did some updates to the website tonight with some new progress pics and also picks of the tank shaving stages.