1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hitachi carb rebuild ?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by streetmaster, Apr 16, 2010.

1. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Anybody know the best way to remove the air jets if they've been rounded off or stripped, im having a hard time with mine. Plus the cold start plungers are in there nice and tight, need to know the bast tool to remove them aswell. :idea:

2. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Well i've got the cold start plungers loose, but the air jets that are under the plunger still wont come out. :evil:

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

rather than risk messing something up real bad, i'd clean them up blow some air through them and call it good enough

4. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Thanx for the responce, thought my ? was gonna get pushed to the curb. :lol: Yeah i tried the best that i could with what i had to work with, but the darn brass is much to soft, and the next step i guess would be to try and drill a small hole down threw the jet, and use a skinny tap and try and hopefully get lucky and the jets break loose.

I got two of the jets to come out with the tool that i was useing, but the rest of them just wanna give me a hard time :evil: But the passage under the jet looks as if there wouldnt be much of a problem if i were to drill a small hole through the jet, and did try to use a really skinny tap on it. But if i dont feel brace enough to try this, i'll just do like you said to do and blow air through them and call it a day. :idea:

5. Sour1

Sour1 New Member

Short of using an easy out and contacting Chacal (or another forum member) for new jets, I'm not sure how else to get them out. The soft brass makes it had to get some torque on them without ruining them.

6. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Yeah i could probly just let them alone, but believe they need to be changed out for a different size if and when i ever decide to go with pods. So i think im gonna be brave and try a small easy out on them and hope for the best.

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Unless you have a real good reason, ... Like the PO put them in wrong, ... Just leave them be.
    Flush right through them.
    If you "Buggered them", ... and need to Drill them OPEN
    GREASE the Bit so any Shavings stay in the Greased Bit.

8. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

I tried like a dickins to remove the air jets, but the aint come'in out. They'er not all that messed up, just the edges that the screw driver grabs onto.

The hole that goes down threw either jet is fine, and you say dont any farther with them, just move on. :idea:

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Put the Probe of the Carb Cleaner right into the Air jet and L@@K for the Stream to come-out the Bottom and at the Pilot Jet Hole.

Put the Nozzle of the Air Gun right at the Jet ... Spray.

10. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Gotcha :idea:

11. gutiehu

gutiehu New Member

How did you remove the cold start plungers? I’m having a heck of a time getting mine off. What tool did you use? Thanks

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

After removing the enrichment lifter linkage, you peel the rubber dust boots off and use a wrench or socket to unscrew them from the carb body. If they are stuck soak them with a good penetrating oil, or a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

13. gutiehu

gutiehu New Member

Thanks K-Moe, I’ll give that a shot, do you happen to recall about what size socket?

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

10mm

For the air jets......if they're that boogered, you're not gonna hurt them any worse---drill a big enough hole then use an easy-out. Then put new ones in,

15. gutiehu

gutiehu New Member

Ok thanks