1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hitachi HSC32 compatible with 81 xj550?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tinnmann2, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Tinnmann2

Tinnmann2 New Member

Hey everyone, I picked up my first bike this summer and have been slowly acquiring parts for it to get it running and driving, one of the missing parts was the carbs. I pulled it off of my uncle's barn so it is pretty rough. I ordered carbs for it off of ebay and the ad said "Hitachi 1981 Yamaha seca 550 xj550R", I also ordered a carb repair kit for an xj550 and noticed the fuel bowl gaskets dont match and I had assumed that I got the wrong repair kit, upon further investigation I have found that I perhaps do not have correct xj550 carbs. Most searches say the HSC32 are for 650 and 750s. Before I accuse the ebay seller of mislabeling his ad, I just want to be sure that these carbs will not work on my xj550?

Also, if they are the wrong carbs, has anyone ever dealt with ebay for a seller mislabeling an ad? Maybe it is my fault for not double checking part numbers too.... Thanks in advance

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

not even close 550 seca carbs are mikuni carbs BS 28

what do the carbs look like? enrichment cable hookup on #1 carb left side? do the carb bowls have a drain nipple?

a little cable with a clip on it on the throttle shaft plate?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  3. XJ550H

4. Tinnmann2

Tinnmann2 New Member

They look like the HSC32’s on the “owww, my eyes” thread.

So are these way too big of a carb for my 550 to work properly?

I come from more of a hotrod background building cars and trucks, i have rebuilt many carburetors and can tune fairly well. Do i need these mikuni carbs or can i get another brand of the same size. Car carbs are sized on airflow (cfm) but bike carbs seem to be based on thraot size, in mm. Couldnt i get some carbs with the same throat size of the factory mikuni’s (28mm or 30mm i believe) and link them together? Or is it very difficult to line up different carbs with xj550 intake boots? It just seems crazy because i can have tons of different carb brands and variations on a car or truck and as long as the carb is sized appropriately, it should perform well if tuned properly.

Sorry for long winded reply

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

You can do anything with enough time and money. You’ll be way ahead though to get the correct carbs for the bike.

As for eBay, if he truly had them listed wrong you should start there. Even if seller is an ass, PayPal and or eBay should have your back if misrepresented and listed incorrectly. Can you share link for auction?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

XJ550 Seca or Maxim carbs should not be difficult to find.

You'll want to supplement this kit with throttle shaft seals, fuel pipe o-rings, enrichener plunger seals, basically everything rubber.
    Any used carbs will need to be completely rebuilt. XJ4Ever will have what you need.
    I think K-moe said it, 40 year old carbs don't need a cleaning, they need a rebuild.

7. XJ550H

you could convert maxim carbs to seca carbs

8. Tinnmann2

Tinnmann2 New Member

The seller was great and will accept the return. I see a few seca carbs but no maxims for sale, is the difference between them just jetting? I could very easily change the jets during my rebuild. ( Mine is a maxim)

And i completely agree with "40 year old carbs don't need a cleaning, they need a rebuild." But hey, that's half the fun of having classic vehicles right!? haha

9. XJ550H

yes the jetting is the difference along with the slide needles.
    you can compare in this link
    http://xjbikes.wikidot.com/carb-specs

if you can find yourself a seca 550 head or cams there would be no need to rejet a set of seca carbs. seca has hotter cams. cost comparsion would of both "fixes" would be where to start.full head swap would be best choice of cam vs head upgrade.