1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

"hot wiring" 1982 xj750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joeseca, Jul 18, 2019.

1. joeseca

joeseca New Member

i am halfway through the process of changing from the stock master cylinder to a conventional one.
    i am using a handlebar switch from a 1982 honda goldwing so obviously there is different wiring colours to sort out, but i thought that i had mapped it out properly ... not so, apparently.

ignoring the switch for the time being, i thought that i could hot wire it from the black 6 pin connector under the seat so that i could confirm that the problem is at the switch (or the wiring TO the switch) but i can't get it to crank. i know just enough about reading a schematic to be dangerous and it looked to me that if i jumper the 2 red/white wires together, and the blue/white + black wires together that this would get the engine cranking and running. it doesn't.

note that the battery is charged, connections clean and tight, all fuses intact, and that the engine cranked/started easily before i got my hands in there.

wondering if i might be better off removing the stock brake lever/grinding off it's mounting ear and calling it done but i thought that might be a little too ghetto of a fix.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    joe

2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Unplug stand switches and see if one of them may be shorted. An open circuit should allow starting on those.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the ground for starter button goes through that connector. sometimes starter button is grounding through handle bars sometimes it grounds theough the connector for thr right control
    from the mating connector to harness
    the red/ white wires are the hot into run switch and hot out of run switch you are correct.

blue/white to GROUND will turn over bike

find your side stand relay and disconnect it this will bypass the sidestand switch .

other concerns faulty clutch switch and neutral switch.

do you hear the starter safety relay click when power is on?

why are you using a gold wing control?

4. joeseca

joeseca New Member

so ...

plugged the stock yamaha switch back it just make sure i hadn't had a coincidental failure somewhere else. was a little dismayed when it still wouldn't crank. then got back to basics ... turns out the battery wasn't quite as charged as i thought it was ... :rolleyes: .... now with a charged battery and the original switch assembly it will crank . fuel tank not installed so it won't actually run yet but i'm not worried about that, it ran just fine before.

i am using a honda handlebar switch because the stock yamaha switch incorporates the now-useless brake lever. i COULD use the yamaha switch but that would, as i say, involve some grinding but maybe that's a better way to go ? open to suggestions here. thanks for the help so far.

5. joeseca

joeseca New Member

well, after a lot of time wasted trying to get the honda switch to work, we decided to use the stock seca switch ... a little cutting/grinding/filing and a bit of black paint and it doesn't look nearly as bad as i had envisioned.
    is this the way most people go when doing this master cylinder conversion ?

all thats left on this bike is to finish up the front brake (banjo bolts en route from partzilla) and swap out a pretty bad front tire. this will be my first motorcycle tire re & re so it should be interesting. my only concern with this bike is that it seems impossible to find neutral with the engine running ... no problem finding it with engine off . the bike has a whopping 91,000km on it so maybe that's just the nature of the beast ?

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

check your clutch adjustment lube the clutch cable

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Most people either use a master cylinder from another Yamaha, or change the wiring connectors to match whatever the switch for the new master cylinder uses.