1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How could I wire an xj to start like a car ignition

Discussion in 'Test Zone' started by xjchoppa, Sep 20, 2006.

1. xjchoppa

xjchoppa Member

I recently purchased an 81 xj 650 "chopper" the guy i bought it from has redone lots of the original wiring such as getting rid of the start button and kill switch he has it wired to start when you turn the key past on to the start position im just wondering what would be the correct way to wire it. The way it sits the blue white wire that plugs into the starter relay is coming off the ignition switch gets hot when turned to the start position the red white wire that also plugs into the starter relay is grounded I know this is wrong becaise it will turn over but does put any juice to the coils...

2. xjchoppa

xjchoppa Member

I said starter relay but meant to say starter solenoid

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Welcome to the forum XJchoppa, glad to have you join us. Interesting topic. Your question is it do-able, leads me to say, yes it is but you need to know what type of ignition you have. Ford, GM, Fiat? This will tell you where to start (literally).

4. xjchoppa

xjchoppa Member

I will try to find out tonight what type ignition it is and will post tomorrow when I get to work..thanks for the welcome..

5. xjchoppa

xjchoppa Member

Couldnn't find out yet what type ignition it is, I know it has three posts on it one gets hot in the start position momentarily

6. seagrave

seagrave New Member

Thats funny because I would like to to the same mod to my bike but the guys here said it was a stupid idea, I found a chopper parts dealer that sells the switch for 27.00 I will keep you posted on how it goes!!!

7. daveflick

daveflick Member

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The bike is deliberately engineered NOT to have a starting mechanism like that for a myriad of reasons ... the paramount reason being safety of the rider and those nearby.

You aren't ready for the bike to start until your hands are on the handlebars.
    Not with one turning the key to an ignition switch.

As bad ideas go ... THIS is a Bad Idea.

It's just plain a Bad Idea as I am sure others will soon echo to tell you.

A gun is as safe as a Ball Peen Hammer ... until it's loaded.
    Putting a car's ignition switch on a motorcycle is playing with a loaded gun.

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I won't be changing my mind or opinion if every last soul signed-up to be a Member in here says it OK ... either!

10. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

it's okay...many customs and big dogs, american ironhorse, etc. are all done like this...go to thechopperunderground.com/forums and there is a wiring diagram there for a xs650 wired that way...same exact idea and most the wire colors interchange.

11. PSteele

PSteele Member

Guys, I am in absolute agreement with Rick - just because chopper guys do it does not make it correct or safe. There are many things that apply to cars not bikes and vice versa. This is one of them! Custom may be cool, but intelligence - and using it - is far cooler.

And what about theft? How much easier is it to get hot-wired? There have been posts about XJ switches being mauled by potential thieves but were thwarted. Owners were left with a mess but still had their bikes.

It may be dumb, unsafe, or whatever, but I guess that is what makes Chilly Beach and Star Land free countries - the right to have the choice to do the dumb thing. Let's not even start the helmet discussion!

12. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Stupid question, but why is this in the "Test" forum?