1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. mtaylor

mtaylor New Member

It seems like I'm in the majority with "google sent me here".

2. Brock M.

Brock M. New Member

I got here googling for a place to bother people for help. Looking forward to posting in the future.

I'm new to riding. My basic skills course is this weekend, and after that I'll be getting my endorsement. My roommate
    rides and he's been helping me get started. Almost have all my own gear.

Just got my first motorcycle a few weeks ago, a 1981 XJ750 Seca with 29k miles. It runs but it's got a few things I'd
    like to make sure aren't issues. So far I've changed out the oil and rewired the battery sensor so it doesn't trip the
    warning, since the current battery doesn't use it.

My roommate suspects there's slop in the cam chain, so I'll be posting a link to a video of the engine sound later. The
    bike also revs from 1200 RPM to almost 4500 RPM with full choke after running for a few seconds. We suspect the
    carbs need cleaned, particularly the idle jets. After the clean we're going to sync them too.

3. highlandsMax

highlandsMax New Member

I'm 53 and haven't ridden since I sold my Honda 450 in my early 20's. Just bought an 82 Maxim 750 and I'm looking forward to participating in the forum. I found xjbikes on Google by typing "Sacramento XJ750 forum".

4. Faster

Faster Member

I was looking up 81 yamaha seca and somehow came across this site. I realy like this becouse I didnt even know my 550 seca was an xj untill I started asking questions on this site. Ive learned so much already from it thanks

5. Simmo

Simmo New Member

Followed google lists on FJ750 seca and found this site. From Australia, Queensland. 2016

6. OldFleetGuy

OldFleetGuy Member

Actually, I found xjbikes after acquiring my latest project, a 1980 XJ650 Maxim. I was google searching for carburetor kits using a search term like "Hitachi motorcycle carbs" and low and behold, there was xjbikes in the hit list. Something about the church of clean.The rest is history - I finally created a xjbikes account today.

Regards,
    OldFleetGuy

rocs82650, Faster and k-moe like this.
  7. Ditch514

Ditch514 New Member

I was looking for information on the xj750 seca, and came across an older reddit thread that recommended this place.

8. Chapman Motorsports

Chapman Motorsports New Member

I found this site while researching valve shim adjustment methods on xs11. I don't own a bike but I have three xs 1100 motors that we run in our dwarf car. It's an original Phoenix chassis with the original XS 1100 motors.
    FB_IMG_1468094950778.jpg

Stumplifter and rocs82650 like this.
  9. Dillon

Dillon Member

I stumbled upon this wonderful site of people while googling things about my bike. As I had never owned or worked on a motorcycle these people are a dream come true lol.

10. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

I too used Google looking for info on my 82 maxim 750. I haven't had to look anywhere else since finding this awesome site!

11. Mathius

Mathius Member

I found this site looking for info on jetting. Now if only they weren't so damn expensive, or hard to find.. :/

12. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

JetsRus is where I got mine. Their customer service was great for me

13. Mathius

Mathius Member

They don't ship to Canada.

14. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

Oh I did not know that. Does it cost alot to mail from US to Canada?

15. Mathius

Mathius Member

Not really no. It's the currency exchange that usually gets a guy..

16. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

Oh ok. That's something that I know nothing about. Just thought maybe somebody in the US could get them for you and then mail them to you

17. Mathius

Mathius Member

T
    That would be slick!
    Len has them to, and a good selection.. But wants $11 a jet. Then with shipping, and duty.. 2 sets of jets would be $100!!

18. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

Yeah I guess that is kinda up there. I think JetsRus pricing was similar but I just needed one set sooo....

19. Mathius

Mathius Member

Their prices aren't to bad..
    [​IMG]

20. Reflektor

Reflektor Member

As it happens, its probably fair to say that I bought my XJ650 on the strength of this forum alone.
    I was recently in the market for a cheap hack after a year or so off bikes - and decided I wanted something with a bit of character that I could work on (and learn from).
    As I approach my forties im old enough to remember some of the Jap classics riding around, and probably too old to be messing around with modern hyper-Japs. I've always liked the look of older 'retro things' and I naively assumed there would be a bunch of 70s/80s garage queens up for grabs for minimal outlay.
    Boy was I wrong. Turns out everyone (in the UK at least) either wants mega bucks for their questionable 'classic' - or they are being snapped up to make cafe racers quicker than you can say 'butcher'..
    So after much searching and a bit of learning I spotted the XJ550/650/750 and XS models as a bike that had 'the look' I was aiming for.

Then I promptly ended up buying a BMW K75. Go figure.

Several weeks later an XJ650 Maxim that I had an eye on previously comes back up for sale after having been treated to a fresh paint job and handlebar swap.. I couldn't resist viewing it this time round - and now being armed with the knowledge of this forum being active and an incredibly useful source of information I felt confident enough to buy the XJ.

The K75 hasn't had a look in since the Maxim arrived - it'll probably be sold next season after I've had a moment to give it a once over. Don't get me wrong, in many way the beemer is the better bike. Bigger, smoother, better 2-up, loads of storage. It's just that the XJ has what I was really looking for all along.
    It's cool.