1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do you install a XJ750 Tour Pack?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ManBot13, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Isn't funny how you can want something so bad, get your expectations up, only to feel totally let down and unenthusiastic when you finally get it? This is what basically happened to me while installing an XJ750 Seca Tour Pack.

First the rant. WHAT THE #&@%? I've always noticed with these bikes that they have only one bolt when one bolt will do. The nuts tend to be welded EXACTLY where needed. Things seemed to be well designed and easy to install. But the seca tour pack? It's got probably 3 dozen nuts and bolts, and the ONLY relief from this is EXACTLY two molded nut holders on the bag mounts. I need to use ALL of my manual dexterity (and had to disassemble things and try again 3 different times to figure out the order) just to install it.

And the thing is kind of HIDEOUS. I didn't bother mounting the front fairing, only the back one. But come on! WHY DIDN'T YAMAHA INTEGRATE TURN SIGNALS AND A REAR LIGHT INTO THE BAGS AND BOX? Seriously, I think one of the interns must have designed this thing. The pack should really make the rear end of the bike LONGER, and have it's own turn signals, but INSTEAD, they leave enough room under the top box such that only drivers in compact sedans can see your brake light. The bags look like they've been shortened JUST to accommodate the outlandish turn signal mounts (and I'll be working in the Seca II signals I had previously mounted). The carrying capacity of the whole get-up really seems limited when it didn't have to be!

Ok, not that the rant is over, the questions for all you tour pack owners:
    What do you do about the seat? I noticed that with the bag mounts, the seat hinges no longer function. Was there a special latch that should be installed?

Are there factory instructions for this tour pack anywhere? I'd be really interested in how Yamaha expected a shop to install this monstrosity.

Finally, have any turbo seca owners installed any tour packs? I figured I should take any opportunity to buy a set since they are so rare, and now have two. Although I'm not completely sold on them, I'm still thinking it might be nice to install some on the turbo when it's done, just for the little extra carrying capacity.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ok here's what you do.......box it all up and send it to me. I'll put it on my bike FOR you. That way, you know it's on right, you don't have to look it the hideous ugly-ness of it, and you know that it will be well-cared for. LOL

Maybe you have the wrong tour pack. Take a look at the XJ650 Maxim full-dresser in my gallery and see if that looks like yours. If so, you may have the wrong stuff.

DaveFox

3. ManBot13

No it's the right one seen here: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Galler ... F%2082.jpg . It really looks great from the front, but the front fairing really helps the lines a lot, and I wonder if you can find any pics online from the back.

Yours actually looks a lot more functional as it looks like they didn't try to "mold" the boxes into the lines of the bike (the exhaust might have something to do with this), and the bags look like they have a lot of usable space. The seca bags look like they have space, but the top half has a "cut out" for the mounting bracket.

Oh and one last question: Can I get keys made for these? None of the sets came with keys.

4. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Pm sent with info.

on the keys.
    The fairing side pocket covers use a standard barrel lock that can be removed by accessing it throught the headlight opening.

[​IMG]

The locks in the bags will need to be taken to a locksmith to have a key made.

Ghost

5. Ross1

Ross1 Member

As far as the seat goes,pop the rear hinge pin and be prepared to lever the left side just a bit to close it.
    Don't forget to lube the hinges on the panniers.
    My Seca came with the package.Why the h#%% Yamaha thought it better to bend the stock headlight holders inwards,rather than just remove it is beyond me.
    Also ,I quickly took off the box.If I'm going camping(or to the grocery store) bungee cords do the trick.Trying to get on and off with the box in place was more trouble than it's worth.

6. mirco

mirco Member

I have some pictures posted on this site somewhere of the custom bracket I fabbed up for the luggage. It is complete with dimensions and a full pictorial layout. The braket I made up works so that the luggage can be installed and removed quickly and easily leaving you with a bracket that is quite nice for bungee cording your backpack and other necessaries. It is way better than the stock bracket. I made my own bracket for the fairing as well.

I agree that as well thought out as everything else on these bikes is - they really dropped the ball with the tour pack mounting. ALthought the tourpack itself I think is quite nice. Except that you cannot fit a fullface helmet in any of the luggage compartments.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Hey Ross.....
    You're only about an hour+/- from me. Send me a PM, and I'll give you my contact info if you wish........

I host a Carb Clinic in early June every year. Next one will be Central New York Carb Clinic #6.

Dave Fox, Host
    CNYCC#6
    June 2013

8. ManBot13

mirco, I haven't found your full layout, but I did find some pics here:
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... mount.html

Very cool. I like the idea that with the metal mounting bracket, and removable bags, you can still hinge your seat.

Unfortunately I don't have any access to a welding set up, but I may have to try to figure something out. If you find your full diagram, let me know.