1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How far can you get on reserve?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by KrS14, Jul 20, 2011.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Was just curious how far you guys have pushed your reserve distances, from reserve to empty (or as close as you dare go)

I was lucky last night and thought i'd push my luck, Left work with the fuel light glaring in my face, and drove th 50 km home without filling up. Luckilly i made it into the driveway when she died lol.

I did have to switch it over to reserve on my way IN to work, but I didn't think had put more than maybe 10km on after switching. With 4.1L per the service manual, i'd expect 80 or so km from the start of reserve to engine dieing.

Maybe i went a bit further than i thought using reserve before i got to work lol.

So what do you guys get on average?

2. doc2029

doc2029 Member

As soon as I have to go to reserve I head to the nearest gas station. I really wish I could get a fat bob tank on my 82 XJ650 or something that was at least 3.5 gallons vs. the 2.5 I currently have.

3. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Find a 750 maxim tank. It holds more than 4 gallons. Side covers won't match up exactly though.

I've think I've gone about 20 miles on reseve but that was probably pretty close to empty. I think I have a .8 gallon reserve and get about 40 miles per gallon.

4. doc2029

doc2029 Member

I have been looking for one on ebay, but the ones I see look pretty abused. I should shoot an email to Len to see if he has them.

5. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

a part out is your best bet. They are hard to find. And you can add a fuel gauge because the bigger tank has a sending unit. I did a write up on that awhile back.

6. tinytim

tinytim Member

Can't recall the numbers for sure,but I think I went over 30 miles a few times last year.Right now it's in the garage with 15 miles since reserve from last ride,and it sounds like a LOT still sloshing around in there

I don't have a fuel gage,so I normally just go till I have to switch to reserve,then start looking for a station,but I know I have plenty of miles to find one.Even so,it always makes me a little nervous if I have to go more than 20 miles