1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How many are still on the road?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Cattleman XJ, Oct 20, 2019.

1. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Yup....hijack over, apologies!!

2. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

.... hijack continues...
    I got an indicated 130 out of my 79 GS850, but after sitting at that speed for a few miles I realised that there were lots of stressed whizzy bits churning around, the fastest they'd probably ever gone, and that in a machine that had, by that time, clocked up in excess of 100k miles. I got a bit more sensible and slowed down to a mere 90-ish. It was quite fun, though. I noticed there was an odd transition step in perception at around 110-115, when I suddenly got quite used to the speed and it seemed quite natural.

I've not had the XJ above about 110 so far. What I immediately noticed about it was the airflow of the cockpit fairing was directed above and to the sides of me at about 90-ish, so it became suddenly like riding a fully-faired bike.
    There is a difference in handling between the two, as you'd expect. The GS is pure 70s and even though it's got a pretty stiff frame it depends a lot on the bits bolted on to be in good order, as you would expect. It's quite forgiving otherwise.
    The XJ, being a generation younger in design is better in many ways, and really shows it.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  3. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Thats pretty respectable for the shafty GS...I had the GS750, and couldn't get more than 125 indicated..she handled well, at that speed though...

One of THE best handling bikes, for me, is STILL my '84 900R.....hands off the bars, at 150+.....even my later, faster RF900 Suzuki didn't feel quite as secure, at that speed

A close second HAS to be my Le Mans 850.....rock solid, but certainly not 'flickable' like more modern, lighter sportsbikes

I once rode my raggedy old XJ750 despatch bike....complete with topbox.... around the outside of both a GSXR1100 and 750, on the Snake pass....mind you, I'd been riding it every single day, 15+ hours a day, for some 10 years.....I knew EXACTLY what it's and my limits were, and both of the Suzuki riders looked like ATGNI....All the Gear, No Idea wannabes...still, that DID feel good, since they would lose me completely on every straight bit !!!

Dave in Ireland likes this.