1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HOW TO: Install a fuel filter

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Gamuru, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

For those who've requested a "How-To" on installing a fuel filter, here you go. This one's actually pretty easy. I had mine installed in about ten minutes. That includes the time it took to take pictures and notes. The fuel filter we'll be installing is a Primeline part number 7-02357.

[​IMG]

You should be able to pick one up at any CARQUEST or NAPA auto parts store (Note: NAPA sells it under the Balkamp# 740-1158). You may even be able to find one in you local hardware store. Look in their small engine department (think: lawnmower). You'll also need a couple of clamps, a pair of cutters, a flat-headed screwdriver (for prying), and a 12mm wrench.

We'll be working on my 1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim...

[​IMG]

Here are the steps...
    1. Remove the Seat.
    2. Loosen and remove the Retaining Bolt at the rear of the Fuel Tank using a 12mm wrench.

[​IMG]

3. Turn Fuel Selector Valve to "On".
    4. Remove the Fuel and Vacuum Hoses from the Fuel Petcock.

[​IMG]

5. Remove and set aside the Fuel Tank.
    6. Cut the Fuel Hose in an appropriate location for your new Fuel Filter.

[​IMG]

7. Install the Fuel Filter with two new clamps.
    8. Re-install the Fuel Tank but don't install the Retaining Bolt.
    9. Lift up on the rear of the Fuel Tank and carefully re-install the Fuel and Vacuum Hoses.

[​IMG]

10. Re-install the Retaining Bolt and Seat.

That's it. You're done!

(Yes, I know... I forgot to get hose clamps. I'll put 'em on later. :oops: )

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Excellent Work.
    You're good with Camera Stuff; too.

This kind of quality "Shows and Tells" places this Forum right on the top of the heap.

3. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Thanks! It comes from all those years working behind a parts counter... having to explain to people how to fix their vehicles.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

on mine the tapered end goes to the tank
    like that you'll not be able to see any dirt , it will be inside the sintered brass out of sight, less filter area too

5. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Huh... Good point. I looked at that filter several times for a flow arrow. I guess the manufacturer figured it was self-evident. Apparently not! I'll edit the post to correct it. Good catch!

6. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Thanks for that Gamuru.
    Knew how to do it before, but know how to do it better now. :)
    I love the show and tell pics, truley a DIY dream.
    Keep up the good work.
    Wonder what show and tell is next?

7. kontiki

kontiki Member

I have one suggestion/addition. ... this would be a good time to check to see if your petcock is working as it should. No fuel should flow out of the petcock in the 'ON' position when when you remove the tank. If so, it may be a good time to repair or replace the petcock.

8. Stinky

Stinky Member

I'm not so sure about flipping the direction if the filter. I just bought one of those filters from Napa and I know there isn't any directional flow markings but the filter I replaced looked almost identical with an arrow etched into the molding showing flow just as you have it in your picture. I kinda think that is the benefit of having a clear filter. I want to see the dirt and grime inside of it so I know when it needs to be replaced.

9. goser

goser Member

What size hose do we have on there?

10. Stinky

Stinky Member

1/4" i.d. fuel line

11. Energi2er

Energi2er Member

Clear filter equals plastic filter... Doesnt it get hot there? might melt?

12. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

Thanks for this post, I just got this same filter and was wondering
    where to locate it. You can say a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
    I do have one question I got new fuel and vacuum line. The old lines look
    like they're made out of rubber the new lines I got look like they're made out of a nylon material. I was just wonder should I stay with the old style
    ot will this new stuff work?

13. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

As long as the hoses carry the proper rating there shouldn't be a problem.

14. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Nylon is one thing.
    Vinyl is another.

I can't tell you how many kids buy a new Battery and the first thing they do is yank the black vacuum line to the petcock and replace it with the pretty clear one that came with the Battery ...

... which collapses in upon itself when hot ... sealing the Manifold so the bike keeps running for a moment ... and, stopping the vacuum to the petcock ... so the bike runs out of gas.

If it nylon vacuum hose ... you should be good to go!

15. TECHLINETOM

TECHLINETOM Member

I drove tow trucks for the cops for 4 years. I only use METAL filters on my stuff. If you are using pod filters and don't mind doing some soldering a fuel filter from Summit Racing ( SUM-G1512 )filters down to 5 microns and is big enough to NEVER change. It costs about $17.00.
    TECHLINETOM

P.S. this thing has 3/8 inlet and outlet and is about half the size ( both length and diameter ) of a soda can hence the need for pod filters.

16. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

I am hoping to do this while I have some time this week, but aside from the size of lines being mentioned, what should I be looking for to replace the original fuel lines? I should avoid vinyl? What kind of hose came on these? I have an 82 550 Maxim, and I think my fuel lines are original and in need of a change as well as a fuel filter.

17. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

1/4 inch rubber fuel line should be readily available at any auto parts store. Depending on where you go, it might even be prepackaged in two-foot chunks.

18. roverguy

roverguy Member

Probably a good idea to replace all your fuel lines anyway, no matter their condition. The new NASTY Ethanol fuels melt most of the old style rubber. If any of you are into boating you know ll the issues this nasty new greenie fuel is creating.

Also worth mentioning is the shelf life of this crap is 30-60 days. Octane drops to 80 very quickly & it absorbs water like a sponge.

You must use Stabil & Startron to prevent phase seperation over the winter.

I can provide more back up if anyone is interested.

Sorry to highjack the thread.

19. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Wanted to dump my $.02 into this thread. I had all kinds of problems keeping air bubbles out of my fuel filter. It was the 90 degree bend kind that chacal sells (no offense...that's just who I got it from). Lots of people claim that it is easier to route the fuel line, but I put it right where Gamuru put his, and the "point" of it collected a large air bubble. I "bled" it several times, but it would always collect in the same spot, BELOW the fuel spigot in 8O . And yes, I did put it on with the flow going in the right direction.

I think that's why I've been running lean when ever I do my plug chops. I got a straight filter from Advanced Auto Parts, and it made one heck of a difference. Before the bike would start out nice, but feel a little low on torque after about 10 mins or so of riding. I just replaced it this evening, and what a difference! No air bubble, and I can't wait to plug chop (I've been chasing a lean condition for weeks!)

20. Wirehairs

Wirehairs Member