1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to install a new baffle

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Joshua Olkowski, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

Hello. I am restoring an 81 Yamaha 550 Seca and I am looking for the last piece to the puzzle...a muffler. I finally came across an old XJ Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust and muffler that someone had previously used on a 550 but the baffle inside is broken and needs to be replaced. The challenge to this is that the baffle needs to have a bend in it in order to fill out the entire muffler. I do believe I need to buy a kit but past that I really don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Josh

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have an old kerker from a 550 I will open it up and see whats in there.

fyi kerker is not the stock system, you mentioned restoring

3. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

I know. It's all I could find on the ol' internet. I heard that it was common to change the exhaust on these bikes back in the day. I'm excited to see how the bike performs when this muffler is finally attached. Anyway, I included some pics of what I'm dealing with. As you can see I removed the old broken baffle and I just have to put a new one of those in there. How would I go about moving forward?

Attached Files: