1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HOW TO: Replace instrument cluster light bulbs

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Gamuru, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

You see it every time you climb on your bike. It sits there providing you with a mountain of information for your riding pleasure. It does its job without complaint. But every once in awhile, something goes wrong and you're forced to open her up.

[​IMG]

Well, that's the case for this latest installment in my "How-To" series. When I bought my bike, I noticed that the tachometer light wasn't working. It was mid April heading into summer. I was a new rider and had no plans on riding at night, so I didn't bother fixing it.

Well, times have changed. Here it is the beginning of October and I'm fighting tooth and nail for every riding day I can get. I've embraced—with open arms—the idea of riding at night. But, that burned out tach light has got to be fixed. I've just got to know what's going on in the engine room.

Enough of that. Let's get started with our project.

Here are the steps...
    1. Remove tachometer cable (if so equipped).
    2. Remove speedometer cable.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Remove instrument cluster mounting bolts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Remove headlight from headlight bucket.
    5. Unplug and fish through the wiring harnesses for the speedometer lights, the tachometer lights, (the tachometer head, if so equipped), and idiot light tree.

[​IMG]

6. Remove the instrument cluster.

[​IMG]

7. Remove the screws from the rear of the instrument cluster.

[​IMG]

8. Remove the chrome housing.
    9. Remove and replace the light bulbs.

[​IMG]

10. Perform any other work that needs to be done (cleaning, lubing, etc.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Reinstallation is the reverse process.

That's about it. This one's pretty easy to take care of.

Bonus Tip: if you scroll back up and look at the instrument cluster you'll see a small digital clock affixed to the tachometer. That's held there by a piece of Velcro. This allows me to remove it when I wash the bike or find myself in a heavy down pour. Underneath the head cover (that plastic piece surrounding the ignition switch) you'll find another piece of Velcro. I can stick the clock there until the wet condition passes.

(h/t to schmuckaholic)

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Excellent write up on the instrument lights Gamuru. Only thing I can add is that LED bulbs are now available if they want those. I also did what the same clock trick as you but learned an improved way at the NTCC. I got a water resistant watch from Wal-mart for $7.98. Removed the band and cut off the band and the arms that support the band pins. Painted over those and now I don't have to worry about the rain.

Steve R likes this.
  3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you do any amount of night riding ... you can do yourself a favor and substitute Blue or Red Bulbs for White.

Not just for looks! Although it does look sexy! But, because the Blue or the Red let you see the Instrument and reduce the lumens of White Light emitted by the instrument ...

Thereby INCREASING your Night Vision ability and allowing you to see further down the road than if the Instrument was emitting White Light which wrecks night vision!

4. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Hmm... Red LED bulbs then?

5. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

Don,

Perhaps next time I try to imitate your work I should ask a couple of questions to make sure I am following the right path. I tried to take a short cut. :oops: I had assumed that you had taken off the signal console because you have the time and desire to be super thorough. I tried to take out the four screws and remove the back to put my new spedo light in. What I hadn't paid close enough attention to was that the back SEEMS to not be connected where the mounting brackets are in your photos, and in truth wrap around the brackets and don't have a whole lot of play. :x

Thankfully, the weight I have gained in marriage isn't around my fingers. I was able to tuck my fingers in there, fish out the wire for the bulb, exchange bulbs and put it all back together. and after a drum roll, it works! :wink: Thanks for showing me where I was supposed to be headed, even if I almost didn't make it.

Jon

6. dustball

dustball Member

Cool man! Make it easy for me to throw in some blue LEDs!! thanx

7. BR549201

BR549201 Member

I know I'm bringing this back from the "dead" but I have to do this to my bike.

It sounds good...but I don't get the pictures to load??

8. RickCoMatic

I saw some of this Paint used on the Speedo Indicator Needle of a Custom Hot-Rod at a recent show.

I think it would be just the stuff I need for my Speedo, too.
    has anybody used this stuff on their Bike?

DayGlo & Glo in the dark.
    http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=9

9. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Which is the best vendor to buy these from. Any one have better luck with one vs. another.

MN

10. MN-Maxims

I think Fitz had the speedo needle paint figured out what color and who to get it from.

MN

11. RickCoMatic

The DayGlo/NiteGlo isn't THE Paint for Speedo Needles.

It's a suggestion. An alternative.

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Here's the 550 Seca cluster teardown, the Maxim is very similar IIRC. This might help:

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14948.html

I get my speedo needle paint from: http://www.hipoparts.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=659

It's BURIED on their site, good luck (It's under Ford restoration parts...)

I also got my LED bulbs from them; http://www.hipoparts.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=572 I used 5-element white LEDs to replace the instrument bulbs in my cluster and you can actually SEE the instruments at night. What a concept.

13. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

It would seem the pictures are a casualty of AT&T's web site restructuring. I'll put it on my list of things to fix in the near future. Sorry about that.

14. MN-Maxims

Thanks Fitz for bringing this info in here. I really need to upgrade my clusters too. As long as they are apart the needle paint is a must.

MN

15. BR549201

BR549201 Member

Not a problem.

Besides, with all the OTHER things I've read/learned from this site...I have enough to keep me busy........

16. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Done and done!

17. Rasmus

Rasmus New Member

Hello!
    Long, and very old, shot - have you still got the photos for this post? They seem to have disappeared. I’m currently looking at a bulb replacement similar to the ones described above - But could really use som help from this fine guide. Thanks in advance

18. Seca8814

Seca8814 New Member

If you go to the 'How To' section there is a write up that explains the process of removing the instrument cluster and replacing the bulbs. The pictures are still available on that thread. I'm in the process of replacing my bulbs and has been pretty straight forward so far.
    The one thing that I'm not certain about is the two wires that go into the back of the speedometer housing. They appear to go to a long and skinny light bulb (I'm thinking for odometer illumination) but I haven't been able to find any information about it. If anyone knows more about this please leave a comment.