1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HOW TO: Test your starter circuit

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Gamuru, Jan 23, 2008.

1. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Leave the side-cover at home and keep a 1/2 inch wrench in your hip pocket (for crossing the solenoid). To clean it, you have to un-solder, and re-solder some contact, and it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

2. jshaw1988

jshaw1988 Member

I picked one up at Napa that I made work. All go good now. Now I gotta figure out the surging idle. Thought I had it ironed out when I balanced the carbs, but not so much

3. misterhare

misterhare New Member

Disclaimer: I am new to motorcycles (especially diagnosing electrical).

In step two you describe arcing the solenoid. I tried that step and I get no spark or click from the solenoid. The solenoid does click when I use the starter button. Does that mean I have an issue with the solenoid or the starter?

It seems to me that the the solenoid is not being bypassed when I use a screwdriver. Is that possible?

It seems that step 3 would help me diagnose the solenoid, but I don't fully understand how to perform it. Are you talking about using jumper cables? Or is a jumper lead something more specific? Can I use jumper cables from a car? It seems like they would be too bog for this application.

With most solenoids costing $10, I'd rather just buy one and try it out as opposed to buying anymore tools (aka jumper leads).

Thanks for your help.

4. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

I believe the problem is your starter. I had the same conditions, click on starter press, but shorting solenoid posts gave me nothing. Rebuilt my starter and all was well.

5. misterhare

misterhare New Member

Okay...

I got a new starter on. Now, when I bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver the starter will turn over. However, when I try and start from the start button all I get is a click in the solenoid relay. No starter action.

Does this mean I need a new relay? I have not performed #3 because I didn't understand how to do it, but now I think I have figured it out. You are proposing taking a piece of wire and connecting he pigtail to the battery? Essentially giving the relay direct juice from the battery.

For the record, this is all with a new battery.

Help!

6. gang3

gang3 Member

I Realize the age of this thread /post but just to help clarify when you short your starter solenoid you look at it you will see two nuts that hold the thick cables on, these nuts are larger than any other nut or screw heads that can be seen. And are usually the same size as each other. What you want to do is take a insulated screw driver hold it in a semi horizontal ( laying flat ) position and touch both of these large nuts at the same time, You will get sparks, And be sure the bike is ready to start ,Like clutch in, or in neutral gear, side stand up ,etc. Be ready as it should cause your engine to start turning just like a normal start.

7. J4seiber

J4seiber New Member

Been riding my bicycle to work for two weeks. Found this HOW TO, and just got it running as easy as pie. Just perfect. Thanks.

8. gang3

gang3 Member

To Misterhare : if you are still having trouble and from your last post yes it sounds like your solenoid is indeed one of your problems replace that thing and try again, Maybe that is all you need.

9. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

bump, please make this a sticky

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  10. Brickiejase

Brickiejase New Member

IMG_20221215_175511.jpg This is great help.
    I've just picked up a Xj600 s 4br
    It's a non runner and with this info, I've been able to cross solinoid which makes engine crank. I've now found there's no earth getting to the blue and white wire.
    Checking the starter relay it's full of water and the blue and white terminal is broken off.
    I've ordered new relay