1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I guess we'll call this project the reaper

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Asphaltcowboy74790, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Asphaltcowboy74790

Asphaltcowboy74790 New Member

IMG_0650.JPG Hello y'all my name is Jared and I'm kind of sort of new to the forum here so I have a 1982 750 maxim I figured maybe I would actually try to build something out of I was going to go a little different route than most most of the maxims I see have either been chopped and turned into bobbers or they have been built into café racers I'm going to try going the opposite and build a bagger out of it this is probably going to take about a year possibly more as I have no fabrication skills and very minor mechanical skills I do have a pretty clear image in my head of what I want the bike to look like when I'm finished let's just see if I can get to the finish product here's a pic of the bike I am starting with...............

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you wouldn't just leave it stock. It looks to be in pretty good shape...

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

locking chain and all, you might want to see why the master cylinder is tilted so much. maybe it's just the picture

4. Asphaltcowboy74790

IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0276.JPG
    This was my original idea I had started with my 700x till I wrecked it

5. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Its your bike to do with as you wish.
    However I really dont understand why anyone feels the need to drastically modify these bikes.
    In my opinion they are pretty much perfect in design from the factory.
    With the possible exception of the exhaust. The original exhaust sounds so eneamic and sad. Straight pipes make the bike sound real tough!
    Either way looking forward to seeing what you do.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Jetfixer likes this.
  6. Asphaltcowboy74790

IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1179.JPG Well here's what we got after day one of me and my attempt I went through and rip that Atari box off and started trying to figure out the wiring took out the headlight a whole assembly and the fog light and ditch that and went with the Harley batwing faring the fairing is not actually attached permanently I just kind of had it marked up and held on to See what it was going to look like I put a temporary setof bags on there for a temporary solution my eventual goal is to put the rear fender off of like a Harley Street glide we're going to see how well that's going to work I have a feeling there's going to be lots of measurements and lots of fabrication involved in that and make it work and look right

7. Asphaltcowboy74790

I do have kind of a dumb question no my speedometer cable is now about 3 to 4 inches short from mounting it in that bearing I took the gauges off of my old 700 and found out they will work but speedometer cable doesn't reach so my understanding can somebody please correct me if I'm wrong it is not so much the cable that matters as it is the gears down on the front tire and the gears in the speedometer or the ratio in the spinoff correct or is the cable also bike specific????????? I was wondering if somebody could answer that before I go in and buy a cable and find out I did something stupid thank You

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You can have a longer cable made and it will work so long as the fittings at either end are the same.

No cut frame = much love to you.
    The end product is going to look good I think. You could make the ATARI work with the fairing since it'll mostly be hidden except from the rider's view.

The easy way for it to work with a different speedo and tach is to seperate the systems monitor from the assembly and mount it elswhere (again the fairing provides a good place to put it, and keep it useful). No re-wiring will be needed.

Otherwise : Here's the wiring mods to remove the rectangular instruments
    The above is for the Seca. IIRC the Maxim is a little different, but the link and a wiring diagram for the Maxim will get you there.

9. Asphaltcowboy74790

I removed the the little computer box itself with all of the wires attached to it to keep it simpler on me for the moment with wiring have later intentions of looking through the forum and stripping it done to bare essential wires needed as for the Atari box itself in this particular case it was better to get rid of the gauges in it did not function at all and in my case I actually have the full inner and outer fairing so it was in my way next I'm going to have to move my key switch as it is in the way too and figure out just for sure my permanent mounts and exact position from where it's at it seems like I need to raise it another inch maybe 2 and lean it back just a little bit more I haven't tried at night yet but it looks like my light is angled way too much at the ground a good friend made some suggestions on a couple of different ways to make my mounts so I'm trying to figure out which one I'm going to try and as for the no cut frame sorry I hate to disappoint you but there will have to be some frame cutting involved I'm thinking it might only have to be that piece under the seat where the original fender mounts I might be able to just cut that out and that might work but I'm thinking the street glide fender is wider so there might be more chopping

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Take this as constructive criticism from a tired elementary school teacher who just wants to understand what you wrote.
    Punctuation matters :)
    Thank you.

If you have to cut, then you have to cut. It's not the rarest of bikes in the XJ series.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  11. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Mine sits like that too; it's only level when the handlebars are turned fully.

I suspect the "adjustable handlebars" are intended to be rotated downwards at the upper bolt, but that's just weird feeling.

God, I hate the stock handlebars.

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

they should really be level with the bars straight. tilted it might suck air into the pump. at least keep the reservoir full

13. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Must depend on the individuals stature.
    I adjusted mine when I first got the bike. Both at the bottom and at the hand grips and found the adjustable bars to be one of the best features of the bike.
    If a solid handle bar doesn't sit in a comfortable position for you then you are screwed and just have to live with it.
    With the adjustable feature the handle bars become a custom fit to the rider.

14. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

But a new set of regular handlebars is roughly $30, so you can get a set that suits you... While the stock handlebars are adjustable, they're sinfully ugly and that bizarre master cylinder only sits properly if you leave the handlebars in a weird position and don't adjust them.

But, to each their own :)

The upside is, at least I know my master cylinder will work fine with my new bars till I can afford to replace it, as it's at that angle and works great now :)

15. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

OK, seeing as no one else has mentioned this....does the bike run and stop really good? I mean you say you are mechanically challenged and have next to no fabrication skills, but you are tearing into the bike and doing some mock-ups to see if it has the look you want. I know you estimate a year to finish but doing the cosmetic stuff first and tying up money for a fairing, bags, new cables and so on should come after it's road worthy and reliable.
    My 2 cents.

16. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

[QUOTE=" While the stock handlebars are adjustable, they're sinfully ugly :)[/QUOTE]

In my opinion one of the best features of the bike!
    Stock adjustable bars are unique and look awesome!

17. Asphaltcowboy74790

Yes the bike is mechanically sound my next door neighbor is a mechanic runs his own garage he checked it over

18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you are going to cut the rear of the frame I may be interested in it mine is missing
    XJ750J can this be fixed hacked rear end

would like to replace mine if possible

19. Asphaltcowboy74790

I will definitely keep you in mind when I figure out exactly how we are going to do it. It is going to be a couple weeks yet before I try I am waiting to be able to afford the whole ass and off of a street glide as in the fenders the actual fiberglass bags and amounts and all nine. I just want to have all of it together and then try to set it down on there that way I have all the actual mounting hardware and everything instead of trying to piece that together I figured it would make it easier to figure out if I had the whole rear end there. we have a used parts shop over near my way that I should be able to get everything just got I have the money for that LOL.

20. Asphaltcowboy74790

Question though for someone that understands the properties of metal a little better than me. Could I get away with heating the back part of the frame and bending it to fit the fender? Or would that weaken the frame too much to where it wouldn't be safe?