1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I guess we'll call this project the reaper

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Asphaltcowboy74790, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Asphaltcowboy74790

Asphaltcowboy74790 New Member

I just had someone recommend that so I was wondering if I could actually get away with that or if it would weaken the metal to much....

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You can heat and bend it. The frame is made from mild steel, so you won't need to worry about altering the hardness or strength of it. Just let it air cool after the bend.

The trick is going to be getting the bends equal, symmetrical, and kink free. Buy a ton of scrap and start practicing before you do anything to the frame. You will need to look up how to fill the tube with bone-dry sand so it won't kink (or buy a suitable diameter spring to slip inside).

The other issue is where exactly you want to make the bend at. Bend too close to a weld, and the weld could eventually fail.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  3. Asphaltcowboy74790

Sorry it's been awhile I've been busy with work... just a little update. I finally found a good fairing and have it mounted. Now just tonight I got ahold of my street glide rear fender and hard bags. So I guess this is going to be where the fun begins. The maxim is currently at a friends house so I couldn't measure for sure but eyeballing it I think the fender should fit..

4. Asphaltcowboy74790

So I happened to have the old rear fender off of my 700 here still and if the 750 fender is the same size as the 700 I know they are totally different in the way they mount but if they are the same width I might have to widen the frame

5. Asphaltcowboy74790

So been a good while since I've made any updates....... well this is definitely far from done but it's roar on the shore time here in pa so this was the quick throw together to get me threw the rally still far from done actually had it painted all nice for a whole morning but stupid me got too damn impatient and didn't let the paint cure I just threw it together so I could go. I found out the street glide fender is wider so I'm cutting and widening the frame after roar.

Attached Files:

6. Samuel801

Samuel801 New Member

The bike looks really good man. I love the color scheme.

7. Samuel801

Samuel801 New Member

Dumb question... Did you have to tune carbs after you removed the mufflers? Or does it seem like it's running the same. How does it sound?

8. Asphaltcowboy74790

Sorry it’s been so long since I’ve been on here just a lot going on.... as for running without the mufflers no there is no real difference actually it feels and probably just psychological lol like a little more not much power sounds way better and according to my mechanic don’t need to do any tuning as long as you leave the collector he said it still produces enough back pressure he said when I pull it to put the straight pipes on it I’ll have to rejet the carbs..... now I have a dumb question for anyone that might know what other speedometer cable will fit an 82 750 I moved it up into the fairing now obviously the cable is to short does anyone have any ideas for what might work thanks in advance

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

chacal sells extentions
    HCP17702 Aftermarket drive cable EXTENDER CABLE, extends the length of your stock speedometer or tachometer drive cable (at the gauge end) by 6", just the thing when using modified handlebars or re-located gauges! Saves you the expense of having to buy a completely new drive cable. Correct end fittings allows you to screw this cable "in-between" the end of your current cable and the gauge head fitting.
    $

HCP17703 Aftermarket drive cable EXTENDER CABLE, extends the length of your stock speedometer or tachometer drive cable (at the gauge end) by 8", just the thing when using modified handlebars or re-located gauges! Saves you the expense of having to buy a completely new drive cable. Correct end fittings allows you to screw this cable "in-between" the end of your current cable and the gauge head fitting.
    $

HCP17704 Aftermarket drive cable EXTENDER CABLE, extends the length of your stock speedometer or tachometer drive cable (at the gauge end) by 10", just the thing when using modified handlebars or re-located gauges! Saves you the expense of having to buy a completely new drive cable. Correct end fittings allows you to screw this cable "in-between" the end of your current cable and the gauge head fitting.
    $

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

your current cable

HCP2647 Aftermarket SPEEDOMETER DRIVE CABLE, includes the bright plated metal sleeve nut on meter end and the metal clip-bracket on the gear end as original, for all XJ550 Maxim models, all 1980-83 XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, and all 1981-83 XJ750 models. Wire length: 38-1/2".

or
    HCP2658 Aftermarket SPEEDOMETER DRIVE CABLE, includes the bright plated metal sleeve nut on meter end and the metal clip-bracket on the gear end as original, for all XJ1100 models. Wire length: 41-3/8".
    HCP2722 OEM original SPEEDOMETER DRIVE CABLE, includes the bright plated metal sleeve nut on both ends as original, for all XJ700 and XJ750-X models. Wire length: 42-3/4".

11. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Asphaltcowboy74...
    For the love of God, PLEASE do as the teacher requests. I have to read every one of your posts 4-5 times to understand them! lol

k-moe likes this.
  12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

From another teacher's perspective....if I start reading a post and there's no punctuation, I usually stop reading it.

k-moe likes this.
  13. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

A panda bear walks into a bar and orders a sandwich. The waiter brings him the sandwich. The panda bear eats it, pulls out a pistol, kills the waiter, and gets up and starts to walk out.

The bartender yells for him to stop. The panda bear asks, “What do you want?” The bartender replies, “First you come in here, order food, kill my waiter, then try to go without paying for your food.”

The panda bear turns around and says, “Hey! I’m a Panda. Look it up!” The bartender goes into the back room and looks up panda bear in the encyclopedia, which read: “Panda: a bear-like mammal originating in Asian regions. Known largely for it’s stark black and white coloring. Eats shoots and leaves.”

Eats, shoots, and leaves vs eats shoots and leaves.
    Moral of the story: punctuation is important.

14. hogfiddles

See? Now I did read that.
    Moral of the story is: the Panda bear never looked it up.

Mad_Bohemian likes this.
  15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

................................................................................
    hearssomeextrapunctuationuseitasnessasarry
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

16. hogfiddles

Rotflmao