1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

i HATE my indicator cluster

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by k13fer, Jul 5, 2009.

1. k13fer

k13fer New Member

i have a '82 750 seca and i hate the stock gauges. HATE.
    so im thinkin i'll just change them out with something nice and chrome and round. but what the hell do i do with the wires from those sensors that used to go to the computer?
    how bad of an idea is this?

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

That depends on how good you are with electronic stuff. There are a number of wires that will need to be jumpered to bypass the sensor resistors in the computer (namely the pairs for the tail light, brake light, and headlight). These are not all labeled in the wiring diagram, so, in some cases, you'd need to use a meter to find which pairs will need to be jumpered together.

Then there's wiring up the new gauge/indicators to the old wiring... but that should be the easier part.

3. ratchetmxr6

ratchetmxr6 Member

If you find out pm me,I asked the same question over a month ago and no one had an answer.I agreee the stock cluster is awful looking.

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Your basic answer is right above.

Now, how good are you with electrical work? And do you have a proper wiring diagram for your bike, and a meter, and probably a soldering iron?

5. ratchetmxr6

ratchetmxr6 Member

Thanks SQLGuy, I appreciate the fact that your trying to help us out on this,But I think were hunting for more descriptive answer like yellow wire with green jumped to solid yellow etc. Not scared to do the wiring but I just got done wiring a 73 honda cb450k5 From a schematic and It would sure be nice to here from an expert.Seems like everyone here has done it but know one can tell you exactly how.

6. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

The reason I can't tell you exactly how, is that I don't feel like pulling my bucket and connectors back apart to map out the wires. Also, the fact that the wires running into the computer are not labelled on the schematic makes me wonder whether they'd be consistent in coloring across other SECA 750's... probably, but maybe not.

If you want to do it, put aside some time and do it, and post here as things come up, and I'll be happy to help. If you get really stuck at some point, I'd probably even open up my bucket to check.

If you want a guaranteed step-by-step procedure, though, I'll think you'll be waiting quite a while.

7. ratchetmxr6

ratchetmxr6 Member

Roger that,
    More than likely a very long time,lol Its a best kept secret lol.I'm going to do it with full color pics and all the notes I can scribble.Do you know if the any of the charging system circut is tied up in there? I started mapping it out but gave in to old age and being too tired to stare at it anymore.

Thank you Paul !!

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i just did it and still have the drawings i worked from, it's a 750 seca the drawings are 85%, still needs a headlight cut-off relay and the jumpers marked on the relay sockets
    p.m. me a e-mail address and i'll send them to you

9. ratchetmxr6

ratchetmxr6 Member

PM Sent Thanks!!!!!!!!!

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

try that again, never got it

11. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

No charging circuit. The closest thing to that is the battery fluid level sensor, which many people bypass anyway because they are running a battery that doesn't have a spot to plug in the sensor.

The only things that run through the computer, and wouldn't work with it simply disconected, are the tail light, brake light, and headlight.

If you remove the whole cluster, ideally you'll have a new tach that can take it's drive from the coil drive signal, like the stock tach does. The spark on these bikes can be a bit hard to pick up for tachs that would get their signal from a plug wire pickup.

Other things that you'd probably want to hook up are the fuel level gauge, neutral light, turn signal indicator(s), and, if supported, things like the brake fluid and oil level sensors.

All the level sensors (fuel, oil, and brake fluid) run to the computer, but, of course, it doesn't break anything if these aren't connected.

Cheers,
    Paul