1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I now have irrefutable photographic PROOF!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bigfitz52, Dec 8, 2012.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Of what the extra mounting tabs on the Seca 550 frame are for.

All along I've suspected they weren't just for the optional luggage rack. Then I scored this great European (Yamaha of the Netherlands) XJ550 brochure off eBay and LOOKY THERE: a grab rail!

WE didn't get a grab rail; just a "standing handle" on the left side, and a tab for an optional (or aftermarket) luggage rack. We got a dumbass across-the-seat strap instead. (Note the lack thereof on this bike.)

OK, Eurozone XJBikes members, help me out. Find me one. It can be rusty as long as it's straight and solid, I'll get it replated.

[​IMG]

We didn't get a choice of color schemes either, just one for each model year. Or an oil cooler. Also, note the slight rearward difference in the rider footpeg position, resulting in a noticeably shorter rear brake lever.

I THINK this is a 1982 model-year brochure; the "LIT" part number ends in "-82E." (82 Europe?) But I can't find a real date on it anywhere; so if somebody could confirm that as well, that would be great.

[​IMG]

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Hey Fitz...........what/where exactly are the holes? I'd be interested in checking my new-to-me 650 seca and see if that would have had it, too.....

Dave F

3. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

Fitz, Also, is that dual front disc's I am seeing on a 550?

Was that a European only option? Might be worth noting if someone is looking to upgrade to Dual discs over here.

4. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Yes, Euro 550 got dual disc.

5. bigfitz52

Dual discs with "swirly" wheels; because the bikes used the larger brake drum rear wheel like came on the 550 Maxim.

Dave, the 650 Seca has "standing handles" on both sides, so no empty holes.

Also, the cafe fairing was never offered in Europe, to the best of my knowledge.

Wanna see something even more interesting?

How about the very first XJ? The "D" makes it a 1977 model year bike. (Note empty grab rail mounting tab and seat strap.)

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure this is an "E" ('78) note the muffler change, and "natural" finish on the motor (and some GOOFY mirrors.)

[​IMG]

6. hrc1966

hrc1966 Member

Surely someone in te USA could make this part , someone with tube bending skills and a little time.. Its not the hardest thing to do... just saying..

7. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Now that 400 would be a fun bike. :D

8. bigfitz52

It IS. Imagine how much fun it would be with a 528cc motor in it...

(The 550 Seca.)

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The D is really interesting to hear about!

Thanks for the info.

Dave F

10. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Also more proof that JM'ers had issues with us Yanks! Toyota was sending over their trucks, in the 70's and 80's, bumperless to the US and had a supplier in Cali bolt up the cheapest hunks they could find, all the while they were putting some nice custom chrome on ALL the rest of their trucks. Nice eh?

Why hold us enthusiasts and customers hostage to the inanities of stupid leaders?? It's just plain wrong. We've been sending them the best microchips ever made for years so they could build top-notch electronics, when does the past become the past?

I do like the idea of a 400, why don't they make that size anymore? in an I-4 config, seems like it would be both fast and effecient.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I had a '75 Celica; the bumpers were the last part of that car to rust. IIRC they were made in the US.

That grab bar would be easy to make, but not necessarily easy to sell in enough quantity to make it worthwhile. If there are enough people who are interested in putting down deposits I'd bet you could find a shop, and have a batch made without braking the piggy bank.

12. wscraig76

wscraig76 Member

Anybody know where to get and how to adapt that exhaust from the 400d to an 82 750?

13. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

They made them all the way to 2007. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XJR400

Never sold them in the US or anywhere else on either American continent.