1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ignition cylinder bolt snapped off

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Josephclinton, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Josephclinton

Josephclinton New Member

Well, the meth heads that tried to steal this bike managed to do a number on the old ignition cylinder. I found it smashed on the ground, a poor attempt at hot wiring a bike with no battery or gas.

So now I have this bad boy, a bolt sheared off in the fork crown, facing down and surrounded by light bracket and forks and wiring and all manner of stuff. One side if the bolt is proud of the crown, the other is recessed.

Anybody have a good idea?

Attached Files:

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If it is on the top triple tree and you cannot get access can you remove the triple tree and get access to the bolt on the bench. That is where I would start. Centre punch it and drill it and use an extractor to remove it. Or take it to the engineering shop for them to remove it.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

use a reverse drill bit from bolt head side , if the bolts snapped they may just walk out.
    worst case if threads are damaged ,you get them drilled out and have to helicoil the holes.
    you may be able to repair threads with a bottom tap