1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

ignition relocation

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by regulator, Jun 18, 2006.

1. regulator

regulator Member

Has anyone on here relocated the ignition switch of a seca or maxim? Have been looking at relocating similar to newer bikes, I noticed some v-stars with ignition in the "neck" of the frame but this does not look possible on the maxim/seca's. I also noticed some with the ignition under the tank, I noticed on a victory hammer ('04 I think) that it simply had a bracket under the tank and the ignition was mounted there. would love to see pix and info if anyone has done this

2. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Bumpity BUMP!

because no one answered this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind more info on this mod. ;)

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Someone put the key switch under the tank on the right side up front.
    You could put it almost anywhere, really.
    Someone suggested a digital card or chip that was read remotely.
    No key, just get on and hit the start button. Now that's cool !!
    It's like the bike knows you.

4. bikrman2

bikrman2 New Member

I might be mounting mine under the seat. I'll snap some mock up pics when I get home from vacation. :D

5. johno8

johno8 Member

I relocated mine to the area near the starter. It's mounted on the frame under the airbox. Other than doing a wiring change to reroute the ignition, it was a piece of cake. I can get some other pics if you need something specific.

Attached Files:

6. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

Perhaps where most bikes no longer have the tool kit would be a good location? I am very interested in this.

7. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I think you're on to something Wesley. That sounds like a good idea.

Johno: that looks great. How did you actually mount the ignition cylinder onto the frame? Did you have to make a holder for it? I've seen somebody else here with one under their tank but it's held on by a ring clamp. I want someting sturdy and would like ideas . Maybe there is a way to mount the stock cylinder using the stock mounting holes and just replacing the bolts with another set and lock nuts.

8. johno8

johno8 Member

I mounted my stock ignition switch down where the frame swingarm bushing is located. There were 2 drilled and tapped holes right there and I was able to bolt it using one of the ignition bracket holes. As there is no strain on the ignition cylinder, only one allen bolt was required to fasten it securely. To ensure a good fit, I had to grind down a corner of the mounting bracket but in all, I think it took me 10 minutes to mount it there. Afterwards, I rerouted the wiring to it to finish the job. Over this past winter, I stripped the wiring harness off the frame and removed unnecessary wiring and ended up with a much sleeker harness and am very happy with where the ignition now sits. I can take some better pics if need be.

willmarmnxj650 likes this.
  9. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Yes please do, Johno. That sounds really good. I'm a very visual guy, so the photos will be welcomed. :)

10. johno8

johno8 Member

Here is a picture I took yesterday of my relocated ignition switch. The red square shows the wiring harness routing from the battery area down to the switch. The red oval shows the allen bolt securely fastened to the frame holding the switch in place. Have had it in that position for over a year without any problems.

Attached Files:

11. Jimbus

Jimbus New Member

Put mine just under the tank up front. Got a conduit clamp at the hardware store that fit just right. It bolted up through the holes in the front of the frame. I love this mod!

Jim

[​IMG]

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I relocated my switch down under the the side cover on the left side of the bike. I got so used to reaching down there on my Honda Shadow, I decided to move the switch on the Yamaha down there too. I just added to the existing wires and ranthem along the frame to reach the new location. The switch is held in place with one screw and works perfect with no problems.
    I also did a simple key mod on mine. I cut the key shorter and glued it to a stereo knob I had laying around. I used JB Weld to hold it on. So now it just looks like part of the bike and I don't need to remove the key when I park it (nobody knows where they switch is) I can still remove the key to open the gas cap too.

13. cly_adams

cly_adams Member

really nice ideas, but are u guys doing with the space where it use to be :lol: or are you using a new handle bar set up?

14. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

The spot where my switch used to be isn't really there anymore. I removed most of the stock setup for 4" risers for my mini-apes and the new speedometer. Looks much better too.

15. johno8

johno8 Member

Ditto for me too, PainterD.

16. willmarmnxj650

willmarmnxj650 Member

Anybody have any updated pics of there ignition relocations

17. Jayme Ray Overton

Jayme Ray Overton New Member

I also relocated mine, did away with turn signals, horn, etc... starter button is on the bottom of left side cover, with oil light. Handle bars cleaned up nicely.

Attached Files:

18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

looks nice and clean but where i am requires turn signals and horn for inspection and 1 mirror.
    also would like to see the oil light come on when low on oil when riding.
    1. there are some nice button switches that you drill a hole on bars and they thread in for horn you could also put oil light in bars as well in the end cap of the grip or possibly in speedo

19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  20. willmarmnxj650

willmarmnxj650 Member