1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

in need of some carb help....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mark.deady, Mar 6, 2008.

1. mark.deady

mark.deady Member

hello all... i have a 1980 xj650... just got the bike from a guy that sayed he rode it every day but it was a little hard to get started in the morning... he would use a small shot of carb cleaner and hit the starter and then get right on the gas till it warmed up.... well i have tryed to figure it out and search on hear about cleaning the carbs and cleading the jets or even re sinking them... i dont have a lot of money to take it to the local stealer to get it fixed... so what do you guys think i should do first... also once it starts and runs for about 5 min's it runs great... a small amount of backfiring every few secs the whole time it runs.... even when i get on the gas it has a small pop.... well thanks for all the help and have a great night....

mark

2. bluzglide

bluzglide Member

Are you at Ft. Bragg NC?

3. 07spacker

07spacker Member

carb cleaner is never a good thing to use for starter fluid as it eats rubber... say goodbye to your intake boots. backfiring is an indicator that your not running properly adjusted or your carbs are dirty... i'd give this a thorough look and tear them apart and get to cleaning!

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1961.html

4. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

This sounds like a classic case of a fouled cold start enrichment circuit. You need to pull the bowls [again] and clean the well and the syphon tube that allows fuel to be drawn up when you give it choke.

Go here and scroll down untill you see the highlighted words, Cold Start Enrichment Circuit. Your solution can be found there.

This may be because your bike is pre-YICS. Mine ('81) pops a little, too, until it fully warms up, but my wife's ('82) doesn't. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it does it even after it has fully warmed up.