1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

INLINE FUEL FILTER Longevity Alert

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by bigfitz52, Sep 11, 2011.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Since my '83 has now done well over 5000 miles since its resurrection was complete, it was time for scheduled maintenance. So, after adjusting the valves, in the course of re-synchronizing the carbs, etc., I figured it might be a good idea to pop a new inline fuel filter on, since it was well into a second full seasons' worth of service.

I knew it had 'yellowed' a bit, but other than that I hadn't really paid that close attention to it, as I've had no fuel delivery issues.

Looky what I found (this is -was- one of the straight style filters) Installed calendar time, approximately 3 years. Service miles, 7332:

[​IMG]

I think it's a good example of the true definiton of "plastic." The stone is just starting to dig into the back of the 'cone.' No leakage or failure, but...

Might want to change your inline filters every couple of years.

2. parts

parts Member

+1 fitz.

I stopped using those filters as they do bend too easy and have other
    undesirable traits.

I went to a larger size drum type at the begining of the
    season and it's working out well.

I'd like to use a nice shiny chrome filter-but even with reg changing
    I like being able to "see" the inside just to be able to eliminate the
    filter as the prob if a fuel issue should pop up.
    Same with the little bit of clear tube from the petcock to the
    filter.

3. bigfitz52

I wasn't saying to not use this type of filter; it's what I just re-installed.

I LIKE these filters, they fit just right in the space available on the 550s, and do the job well.

My point is, at $3 a pop, just change 'em regularly. I was surprised by the change in shape; they're NOT "flexible" by any stretch.

4. retread83

retread83 Member

That looks identical to the filter that was on my 750, same shape and color.I changed it out,looked funky to me.,

5. doc2029

doc2029 Member

I changed my old on the other night. But I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TR21I I like the fact I can see into it. Anyway, already there! It was one of those things I had no idea how old it was or if it was stock or not, so I got a new one...

kenny&beth likes this.
  6. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Yep I agree with you Parts. And it takes what 5 min to flip a fuel filter out...

7. bigfitz52

Doc, I saw those. The problem I had with them is the plastic "gauze" element looks to be virtually the same as the in-tank filter on the top of the petcock.

Back in the day, you could get that type, smaller diameter, with a paper filter. I CANNOT find them anywhere.

I'm gonna keep using the same kind I posted about, just being sure to replace them every other season. SIZE is a factor for me on the 550s.

I found the deformation of the case to be entertaining. Len called it "the little filter that could." I like it. It was still doing its job after all.

BTW, K&N sells the exact same filter under their brand name for 3X what Len gets.

The point of the post was to alert anybody running one of the need to change it periodically is all.

8. parts

parts Member

DOC, That is one great looking filter. Everything you could
    want-clear,chromie, but to rich for me. :( :evil:

9. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Shop around I saw it cheaper on amazon from different sellers... But yeah being chrome and clear is what sold me!

10. parts

parts Member

In that case I will look around-I'd love to put one on!

11. doc2029

doc2029 Member

actually looking at amazon, one seller has it for like 11.00 but wants 7.95 shipping. I am a prime member so things get a little skewed because of the 'free' second day shipping.