1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Intro and a quesiton

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Doc8402, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

Hello all I'm new to the site as a member been lurking and reading a lot as a guest as I have been playing with getting an XJ for some time. I found one recently on the good old craigslist for cheap. Before I pull the trigger on it any specifics I should be looking for?
    Bike is a 1982 XJ750 guys had it a "while" and it has never run (the same condition he got it in). I'm looking to for a project that I can enjoy with my kids.
    Looking for any big "no way" signs.

Cheers,
    Doc

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi @Doc8402. Welcome to the party.

If you're really looking for a project, then I don't know if there are any absolute "no way" signs - seems like just about anything can be brought back from the dead, it's just a matter of how much time and money you're willing to spend. The line between "good project" and "no way" really depends on the person.

Having said that, I'm guessing you're probably looking for a project with a decent starting point and a decent chance of getting rideable reasonably soon. If that's the case, then I would start by making sure all the pieces are there. If there are any important pieces missing, then obviously you're going to need to know if you can source replacements and how much they will cost.

Then:
    -- The carbs will probably be a mess, just assume that.
    -- Make sure the wiring harness isn't hacked up. Nobody likes electrical issues and sourcing a replacement harness can be a bear.
    -- Assume the fuse box will need to be replaced.
    -- Check the tank - will probably at least need a rinse with clean fuel, or a full de-rusting if bad. Assume that you will need to rebuild the petcock.
    -- How are the front brakes? Locked up? Brakes are obviously important - they can also be expensive and time consuming. Assume you will need full rebuild kits and lines.
    -- Assume new rear brake shoes.
    -- Assume the front forks will need a rebuild kit.
    -- Assume the tires are trash. Ditto for other rubber parts such as fuel line and vacuum line.
    -- Assume the battery is trash, if it has one.
    -- Assume you will need to replace steering head bearings, as well as front and rear wheel bearings. Parts are not expensive. If the bike has higher mileage, you may want to go ahead and replace the swingarm bearings while you're at it.
    -- Assume valve lash needs to be adjusted and valve cover gasket needs replacing.
    -- Keys - have at least one key? Operates the main ignition switch, tank lock, and seat lock?

One thing that is really difficult to tell by just looking at it is whether the compression is good or not. You should at least verify that it turns over.

Then of course there are the aesthetics and just overall condition. Is the exhaust rusty and crusty? Is there nice original paint, or has somebody painted over a rusty mess with a rattle can?

Anyway, that's my $.02 worth of opinion if I was pulling a bike out that hasn't run in a while.

For what it's worth, I've got a similar project going on right now, and two more waiting in the wings. You can play along here: https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj650rj-project.130799/

4. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

No, I had not seen that one one. The one I was looking at is in Angel Lake, OR. Auburn is much closer to me.

5. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

6. Huntchuks

Give us the link to the listing.

7. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

@Huntchuks What's the trick to posting the link? I'm getting an error that is thinks I'm trying to be inappropriate or posting spam.

8. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

You may have to do 5 posts before you can post a link (??)

I believe the idea is to lessen the number of accounts that show up for one spammy post.

9. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

I'll keep trying. I like the idea is of limiting linking to keep the trash out.

10. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

11. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

5 was the magic # the link is above.

12. Huntchuks

The seller doesn't say what is included. Missing the carbs, right side cover, throttle tube/grip, right mirror, headlight, turn signals, etc. The carb rack is the biggie. Add the possibility of replacing those parts to the list of other things to check, posted by Dan, #3 above.

13. Doc8402

Doc8402 New Member

I reached out to the seller and claims to have all the parts, although is was mentioned that he has has another of the same bike. I wonder if what's being sold is the parts bike from his project.

14. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

Anything that has been sitting outside a long time uncovered, I personally would walk away from. My bike was covered at least by previous owner. 25K miles so it was ridden. Little rust on the fasteners (rusty fasteners are a good sign to me of being outside more than just running in the rain).
    My list was:
    Carb rebuild
    Valve Shim re arrangement (I only needed 1 shim)
    Fuse box changed to blade style
    Master cylinder rebuild
    Front caliper rebuild w/ new piston
    New brake lines
    New Front pads
    Rear pads were fine and not de laminating but changed them anyway.
    Tank rust removal
    Replaced petcock that as broken
    New Fuel line
    New battery
    New air filter
    replaced valve on front fork air pressure nipple
    Disassembled speedo, cleaned and oiled pinion gear due to "scream of death"
    Did a lot of surface rust removal (small spotty flakes) with water & aluminum foil.

Previous owner already had put new tires on it in 2020 and they were good.

Note: I learned this at the beginning, headlight will not turn on until bike is running and alternator sends power past a diode. You can jumper a relay if you research the bike but often just running the starter will get my headlight to turn on.