1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is a 650, '81 seca tripple tree the same as a 650 '81 maxim?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Minimutly, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Well now I can answer this question. No, the seca tree has some added offset - I'd estimate 10mm or thereabouts.
    My next question is, if I wanted to make a little room between the headers and front wheel, and fitted maxim legs and seca trees, would this create one bad ass handling bike?
    I have a good reason to ask - I have a turbo itching to hitch a ride..

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Well, this just went from a quick question to a build thread...

3. Minimutly

Lol, not now Matti, but one day...
    I had asked the question in one of my threads but got no response, figured no one knew. Still would like to know more about handling issues from the long term bike experts here though - i have a huge gap in my knowledge on this.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Unfortunately, I have no information about this, I mostly just commented so this would be added to my "Alerts" when anyone responded. And to pressure you into starting the build.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I think we must have missed the question. Sorry about that; could have saved you some trouble messing with parts.

There is a turbo build thread that might help.
    turbocharged-maxim-650-build.21112

And another:
    simmys-naked-turbo-project.110254

As far as handling, I think you'd have less trail than the Maxim, but more than the Seca.
    I'm not sure that would get you the room you're looking for, but it would handle OK.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. Minimutly

Thanks kmoe, the seca trees coupled with maxim bottom tubes will give me the most clearance I can get with std parts. i could allways get a slab of ali and make some I guess, but that would be a first for me. The wide set on my trike are excellent, probably the best bits on it hen I bought it, the tubes are clamped by a taper locking pin with an internal thread, from the outside all you see are two socket heads.
    A long way from this project yet though, I have a 650 seca and maxim to complete first. Had a look at those turbo threads - inspiring...