1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is it the stupid pods?!?!

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Nathan M Matroniano, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Nathan M Matroniano

Nathan M Matroniano New Member

XJ700 Starts right up sometimes. Most of the time I have to hook it up to a jump box though. so far I have replaced the solenoid, taken apart and cleaned the carbs(2 x), upgraded the battery to on that puts out 328cca, replaced the rectifier, replaced the plugs , got stung by a wasp and pissed off my neighbor with the constant revving of the motor.

When its running it runs great and after its been running a bit it will start right up if I attempt to start it again soon(like if I run into a gas station real kwik) but if it sits for more than say fifteen minutes its back to "I'll start when and if I feel like it" mode. Why will it start off of a jump but struggle with an overpowered fully charged battery? I understand the pods take away from the bikes performance but with my symptoms dont seem like they are relating to anything to do with airflow. Someone please help before this thing see's the bottom of lake ontario.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Did you do anything to the carbs?

What's happening during a no-start situation (be deatailed).

3. Nathan M Matroniano

I haven't changed anything in the carbs they are stock. When i try to start it the engine just turns but doesnt start. I have spark and can smell gas. The starter turns the motor at a pretty decent rate. If i add the jump box to the equation the starter turns the motor a bit faster and the motor will catch.

When i first got it it would not idle at all it was over 3k or nothing. A carb clean fixed that. I didnt soak them though. It didnt help the starting issue though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

1. Pods will make it run lean. Rejetting is required.

2. The initial high idle would have been caused by a vacuum leak, and just cleaning the carbs won't fix that. The throttle shaft seals and idle screw o-rings usually need to be replaced. Carb cleaner can temporaraly cause them to swell, masking the problem.

3. The starter may need to be cleaned, lubed, and have the brushes replaced.

4. The battery may be faulty. The TCI requires 10 volts to make sparks. Use a multimeter on the battery posts when you go to start it, and see what the voltage drops to.

5. Nathan M Matroniano

Would you happen to know what size pilot jets i would be the next step up? I dont think there is a vacuun leak(or at least a significant one) because it idles great now. Ill take the starter apart when this rain lets up. The battery will have to get ran to the part store cause my multimeter has gone mia.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

http://xjbikes.wikidot.com/carb-specs
    700 n not the X
    stock sizes
    Main FUEL Jet Size: #107
    Pilot FUEL Jet Size: #36.5
    Main AIR Jet Size: #70
    Pilot AIR Jet Size: #210

up pilot jets 1 size #38, you need to up the main jets 2 sizes #109 this is just a starting point
    pilot should be fine 1 size up mains may have to be increased mor than #109
    read how in xj4ever catalog or in the infomation overload.

you do need to check for vac leaks or you may be just wasting time and money
    check valve shim clearences
    tune mixture screws
    sync carbs

The Information Overload Hour