1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Issues with bench sync

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cattleman XJ, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

I’ve read and watched countless videos on this and I’ve seen everything from drill bits, paper clips, and paper used.

My issue lies here:

With the idle knob screwed in all the way, there is NO way that a drill bit or paper clip is going to pass between the butterfly and the throat of #3 I was able to slip a .076mm feeler gauge in there and that’s it.

#1,2,4 I have lots more room (paperclip will just fit) with screws turned all the way down.

I’m a newbie, but this does not seem right at all. My worry is that with #3 not having near the adjustment as the others, it’s going to create havoc when I go to do my dynamic sync

I’ve no suspicions that the utter moron who cleaned the carbs before touched anything on the throttle assembly because there is no sign of messed up screw heads or JB Weld

Bike details in sig

ETA: I used the holes at the top of the throat to adjust everything to sync, and it does all line up. It just bewilders me that the #3 that’s supposed to be the control carb has much less opening adjustment than the others

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

#3 is only controlled by the idle speed screw. It is a fine-tune of the whole rack, hence the smaller adjustment range. The others need a larger range in order to compensate for variations in the finished size of the carb linkage parts. Small differences in several parts can add up to big differences in the whole assembly.

Using the idle jet outlet hole is the best method IMO. Cover it by half (it's the hole closest to the slide).

Cattleman XJ likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Sounds like something was put back together wrong. Send me a private message and maybe we can get it straightened out through pics.

Dfox