1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

"Jacking up" so front tire off the ground

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cgutz, Sep 17, 2015.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Whenever I have to remove the front tire of my 83 XJ550 I place it on the center stand. Then using a hydraulic jack and block of wood placed under the exhaust collector and jack it until the rear tire meets the ground.

I'm wondering if this is correct, could I damage the exhaust system by having it bear the load? Is there a better way to get the front wheel off the ground without a motorcycle stand?

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I would never lift a bike by the exhaust. I've yet to work on a bike that I couldn't get a jack on some part of the frame to lift the front off the ground enough to remove the wheel. Sometimes requires a block of wood or a couple screwed to make a cradle of sorts. I suspect members with a 550 will chime in soon.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

I've done it but only to spin the wheel to check the Speedo. Don't trust it to take the wheel off.through the frame with a pipe and a Jack stand and a Jack is secure.

4. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I took a piece of plywood and two sections of 2X4 that I put on my motorcycle jack so the 2X4s are in contact with the frame only. In addition, i strapped the handlebars to one of the roof studs in my shed for several weeks. I'll send a picture later this evening.

5. quebecois59

DSC01861.JPG DSC01862.JPG

Well, i used a little bit more than two pieces of 2X4 but you get the idea.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Tie the centerstand to the frame so the stand can't collapse, then strap about 50 pounds of stuff on the rear of the seat.

Stumplifter likes this.
  7. quebecois59

Man, this is a lot more simple than my method! I started with the idea that I wanted to use my motorcycle jack, so it blocked my mind to other ideas...

8. k-moe

You do have to be careful though. I set jackstands under the frame once the front is up.

quebecois59 likes this.
  9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I do that and a strap over the beam in garage. Doesn't take much to knock a bike over, especially with three boys running around here.

[​IMG]

10. k-moe

That works too. But be sure to do what jayrodoh has done and strap both ends. I've seen just the front strapped to the rafters, and if the jackstand flips, well.....so does the bike. Instant 500 pound pinata.

11. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I have a couple jack stands that will cradle the lower bout of the 'crash' bars, tilt the bike back slip the jack stands under and the front wheel is off the ground.

12. Rod1

Rod1 Member

What I did when I do not have a SYSTEM is this....bike placed in the center stand, have some sitting in the passenger seat and lace a block of wood between the pipes 2 and 3, right where the frame is crosses (probably have to measure the block and cut it to the size you need). That's all. Now I got a SYSTEM...hahahaha... since a repair the bike in the same place every time, I did 2 holes in the floor, added to tapcons and screwed a hook in each one...and each one is place a foot wider where the bike is standing. Then I tied a rope in a hook, and over the passenger seat and to the other hook, gave it some pressure tied the knot and that's keep your front wheel off the ground. When you finish remove the hooks so nobody trips on them...