1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Japanese Import 650 Maxim, '81

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Minimutly, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Have a look here http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/newby.118274/
    Its a maxim... and I'm not keen at being talked about in the 3rd person whilst I'm still here.
    K-moe, thanks for taking the time to measure those up, just came in from the wkshop, will check tomorrow. No ink numbers left on the bowls..
    As for the exact pedigree of the carbs I have, I'm no expert on what Yamaha built pre Diversion, but these were from seperate sellers list as 600s, wikipedia has some mid 80s xj which seems to fit the bill. I think I'll email the sellers to ask for details - if nothing else it will make getting spares easier. See here:
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xj600f 89.htm
    Finally, i have found that my maxim is a jdm, non yics. Maybe this is why the carbs from the 600 align - who knows, as long as they fit. As for looking for Hitachis I don't see why, all I need to do is estimate which jets I need to make this thing fly, and since I'll be fitting the dreaded pods anyway, how much harder does keeping them make the task.....
    Ok, I know don't do it...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Sorry Minimutly, I can see how that would po me to

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

We often refer to ourselves in the third person, but when others refer to us in such fashion, we are not amused!
    Queen Matti

k-moe likes this.
  4. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Minimutly, that link above from .co.za has got a 900 pictured and not a 600 but the info supplied with it is for the 600.
    Am I being picky? [​IMG]

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Would you mind if I edited the thread title to reflect what the machine really is?

6. k-moe

@Simmy
    You asked twice if we knew what the bike is. That was discovered on the first page. You might have missed the post.

7. Minimutly

Yes, japanese import maxim, '81.
    Thanks

8. Minimutly

Spent most of last night stripping carbs and binning stuff. Looks like I will need a set of float valves and chamber gaskets as a minimum, had to drill one mixture screw and one float chamber drain - they corrode on a section of thread inside the thread on the screw, so as you turn it out it goes tighter...
    One float chamber is cracked where its hit something - can you weld this stuff?

9. k-moe

The aluminum can be welded.

10. Minimutly

Thanks, I'll spark up the tig and have a go. I failed to order the float valves today, but have two good ones and a plan to connect the outer carbs on each side to the inners, should be ok to try running it. Fingers crossed

11. Minimutly

K-moe, my mikunis look a little wider, 39.9mm in fact. They did look like they were stretching the maifolds a little, so We have found the first issue with these. Can you confirm 38.1 for me please? I'm contemplating machining these down, if not exactly to Hitachi 32 dimensions, at least close to it, and I have to be certain (well as certain as a cast body can allow I guess?)
    Oh, and if it's not asking too much, the depth (or width if you like) of the mounting from front face to shoulder.
    Thanks

12. k-moe

I can confirm the diameter is as written. The mounting depth is registered by the retaining groove. There is a rib of material inside of the boot that engages the groove. I measured the groove setback from the face of the carb outlet to the midpoint of the groove.

13. Minimutly

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. By front face to shoulder I meant the extreme point of the mounting, to the carb body, just in case the Hitachi is longer here, and I need to make added allowance. Ultimately I should fetch one of the manifolds home to do this, job for tomorrow I guess.

k-moe likes this.
  14. k-moe

The distance from the face of the bore to the nearest part of the carb body is 14.33 mm (+/- ~0.3mm. I just had time to take a quick measure, so it might be off by a tad).

15. Minimutly

Plus or minus .3 will do me k-moe, thanks. I've stripped one carb set down to nothing (the gummed up ones which will eventually go on the bike), the other set I kept as a rack, in the process of rebuilding these to try on the bike. Two sets means I have pretty much got a good set, the water filled set had a lot more miles on them, and suffered from a range of issues, but should be fine using bits from the other set - things like the float valves, diapgragms, float chambers.
    Once the rh switch comes I'll have a go at firing it up.

16. Minimutly

As in other post, cranked it over today, ordered coils which didn't arrive, so job for next week.
    Quick question kmoe - do you know if the mikuni and hitachi are the same diameter at the inlet? There's a set of - oo, what are they called, rubber adaptors? Between the carbs and airbox on ebay.

17. k-moe

That I do not know. I don't have any Mikuni carbs on hand.

18. Minimutly

Ok, could you take a calliper to your Hitachis and let me know what diameter they are? Much thanks. I'll take a chance on length, there seems enough adjustment in the airbox.

19. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

There probably isn't as much 'give' as you think. The air box 'boots' have a lip each side to secure them in the box If you're lucky you might be able to shift the box for/aft a few mm.

20. Minimutly

Well it's not certain, but it looks like this japanese spec was a Midnight Maxim - the clinchers would seem to be the stanchion covers between the upper and lower fork trees. I had previously noted and ignored as of not any consequence the black rear footpeg mounts with gold paint inlay, black fork bodies, black mudguard, gold swingarm bearing covers.
    I guess the question is, does this change anything re my rebuild? Do I carry on with the flat bars, seat and moving the footpegs back, or is this model one that should be restored to original? This will mean some welding since the rear frame section has been hacked off by the PO, and to be honest would not give me the bike I wanted when I bought it.
    Oh, it says nothing about "midnight maxim" on the registration document, but given it was a Jap import this probably shouldn't suprise anyone right?
    Also forgot about the black pipes and gold wheels and disc centres.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018