1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Japanese Import 650 Maxim, '81

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Minimutly, Feb 19, 2018.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Midnight Maxims are quite desirable in original condition, and quite uncommon, even in the U.S.

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Yay!:)
    It runs!
    Fitted the new coils, the rebuilt (but not really church cleaned 600 Mikunis (no filters), 600 rh control switch and my fuel can rig. At first crank she fired up, ran a bit fast, but after a few tweaks it ran very well. So well that I filled the original tank, connected it up and took the midnight for a spin around the works.
    Admittedly a fairly careful spin (no front brakes and very little rear), but on the uphill section gave it some beans and it fairly flew.
    So now I have to:-
    Order rear brake shoes, front pads, tyres (do I change the rear wheel for a seca?), handlebars with grips and bar end mirrors, headlight, rear brake lever, seat hoop, head bearings.
    Then I need to make or buy:-
    Seat, footpegs and linkages, rear mudguard, number plate mount, stop and tail light, indicators.
    Need to strip and rebuild:-
    Cam cover to check cam chain and valve clearances, brakes, wheelbearings, the mikunis that have been to church need machining to fit the inlet manifolds, head bearings, front dampers, rear units as far as possible.
    Not much to do then...
    Still grinning though

3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Good result! Enjoy the rest of your resto!

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Thanks, made a detailed list of to do's and to get's today, its a long one. Hopefully I can get most stuff this side of the pond so don't have to pay import taxes and freight and vat...
    Front end, carbs, seat, footpegs, rear end will be the order, I think.
    Still not sure whethero kick the seca rear wheel idea into touch. Anyone done this?