1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just broke down on highway

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by smeagol21b, Aug 14, 2016.

1. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Not sure what happened but bike shut off and won't start,stuck on highway 15north by mile marker 39,1/2 mile from Wesley dr rossmoyne Rd.... Any help would be great!!!!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Check the kickstand switch. It may be dirty and tripped when you hit a bump. You can work the plunger by hand to make sure that it's fully extended. Or pull the relay (blue dot next to the connector, either under the left sidecover, or under the tank depending on model).

3. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Just tried that and still no start.... Talked to Hogfiddles on the phone and we ran through some checks and thinking it might be something internal....

4. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Well no luck as of yet but luckily thecrazygnat is coming to give me a ride to get my jeep so I can get a trailer to haul the bike in somewhere....

jayrodoh, rocs82650 and k-moe like this.
  5. k-moe

Hopefully it's something dumb, and dead simple to fix.

smeagol21b likes this.
  6. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Kudos to thecrazygnat for stepping up to help out another brother , k - moe and hogfiddles also.

Stumplifter and smeagol21b like this.
  7. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

We definitely have some great guys on here! Kmoe and Hogfiddles are always one of the first to reply and always willing to help out, Hogfiddles and the crazygnat both took time out of there day to try and assist me with this issue! Thecrazygnat even went so far as to follow me to get a trailer and back and load the bike and unload it at the shop for now! I'll message him in a bit and have him give his statement on what he witnessed with my bike.....other than not starting we were also able to roll it in gear without the clutch.....heard some odd tic tic tic noises when we tried to pop start it too! The joys of being an xj owner...lmao!

ecologito likes this.
  8. k-moe

Roll in gear without the clutch?! Is it a 550?

When you get time, add the model of your XJ to your signature.

smeagol21b likes this.
  9. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

It's 650 seca

10. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

OK, so, this was kind of like the blind leading the blind since I am a mechanical newbie, but we did try a few things:
    - We tried starter fluid since the crank did seem to be turning over when the start button was pressed - no dice, no change in sound/engine catching
    - We fiddled with the side stand switch a little - no change
    - We tried to pop start it - once again, nothing. The bike hardly made any sound going down the hill (trying to hear if it was at least trying to catch.
    - We removed the side cover and turned the crank by hand - I did notice that it was much easier to turn than mine, even with the plugs still in.
    - We took the spark plugs out to make sure they were all getting spark - all of them had spark.
    - We were able to roll the bike back and forth while in gear with relative ease, getting easier with each progressive gear.

Smeagol mentioned that he was rolling down the highway at around 55 (respecting posted speed limits, of course) when he heard a slight grinding, not unlike when you grind you gears, but without as much tactile feedback, and had to coast to the side of the road (giving it more throttle didn't have any effect).

My, pet theory, as completely uninformed as it might be, is that there is something wrong with the cam chain; whether it snapped or jumped the teeth. You are all welcome to chime in and provide more qualified diagnoses.

I certify that this is all true to the best of my knowledge, smeagol can jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

Stumplifter and smeagol21b like this.
  11. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Roflmfao! I love the way you posted that! Haha yes all is true! Nothing we did seem to make a difference and the only other thing that I noticed was I did have a bit of difficulty getting it in and out of neutral a couple of times but gnat didn't seem to have any trouble with this....on the bright side it went on the trailer like a dream!!

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  12. k-moe

Drop the oil and pull the clutch cover.

smeagol21b likes this.
  13. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    First step: If there is any question about the cam chain. You risk hitting the valves with the pistons. Make sure it is correct before turning the engine over again.

~Ghost

k-moe likes this.
  14. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Might be a smidge too late for that one......think we tried starting it a dozen or so.....trying different things....

15. MiGhost

I'll rephrase that. Before doing a compression test. Make sure the valves are not hitting the pistons!

When you coasted to the side of the road. Did it feel like the engine was dragging the bike down, or was it a smooth even roll?
    ~Ghost

16. k-moe

I just have a gut feeling that the clutch basket broke. Honestly I hope that I'm not wrong, because the other things I'm thinking of are a pain to fix.

smeagol21b likes this.
  17. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Other clues , have you had anything apart lately??

18. MiGhost

Clutch basket would not keep the bike from starting.
    Cam chain would give a noticable banging while coasting down, and trying to start.

~Ghost

smeagol21b likes this.
  19. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

I definitely did not notice any banging out anything when attempting to start the bike. It sounded normal other than the lack of any sputtering or anything indicating it was going to try to start. Which reminds me, we also tried with the petcock in different positions and with the gas cap open. There was fuel in the fuel line (he has a clear fuel filter installed)

smeagol21b likes this.
  20. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

It did feel like a slight drag but at the same time I was on a slight uphill grade so I couldn't accurately say.... Now when we pushed it down hill to try to pop start it I didn't feel any resistance.....