1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Just broke down on highway

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by smeagol21b, Aug 14, 2016.

1. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Hopefully they get you sorted soon.

smeagol21b likes this.
  2. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Still can't figure out what's even wrong...I feel like a walking episode of house! Lmao

3. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Ok so spoke with the guy at bike shop and he thinks the valve is just burnt? He is just getting the head off today( told him it was no rush due to medical issues) but he doesn't think damage is too severe, I'll post more updates as I get them....

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I'd expect more than just burned.

smeagol21b likes this.
  5. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

That's what he said too but I guess its not looking too bad but he is going to take a closer look at it and let me know....

6. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Well it's been a while but I'm finally back at it with the bike, been dealing with a lot at home with health and other issues but I'll spare ya'll those boring details! So what we are looking at is far left valve is bent but only slightly, what we are looking at doing is getting a new valve and trying to lap it in ....I'll be going I to the shop after my daughter gets off the bus to pic the carbs up, the crazy gnat is going to work on them for me to fix the hang idle problem, so I should have more details then and hopefully some pictures to share as well.... Other than that it looks like I'll just need a head gasket and new chain..... Keep your fingers crossed!

Stumplifter and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  7. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

Great thread! A rollercoaster ride of excitement! I was engrossed in the mechanical issues and then the addition of the health issues had me pulling for ride and rider. If we can add in a love interest here I think we have the makings for a blockbuster! Maybe a love triangle with the mechanic, Brokeback style, and we're talking Oscars!

Seriously, hope all is OK with you and you get back on the road soon. Also I think you must have the cheapest mechanic in the world. $300 would buy me an oil change here.

smeagol21b likes this.
  8. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Haha it's been an adventure to say the least! As far as health issues I'll know more Monday but as of now docs think that it might be some kind of exercise induced asthma that's causing me to not be able to breath when I exert myself.... And yes the two mechanics who are working on my bike are great and have really been working with me on price since I've just been letting them work on it as they get to it allowing them to knock out their bigger and more important projects since there is only two of them at the moment.... I'm hoping to have this all knocked out by end of March as I'm planning my yearly trip to Arlington to meet with a buddy of mine and pay our respects to our friends and family there.... Hopefully all goes well!

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the love interest is there as well as the love triangle,

1982 seca 650+ smeagol21b + his family

smeagol21b likes this.
  10. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Oh yes both my 4 year old son and 5 year old daughter have been getting on me about getting the bike fixed Everytime we see someone out on their bike.... I'm starting to think they miss it more than me! ( Just a little though!)

Stumplifter and XJ550H like this.
  11. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Good to see you back! I've read this thread a few times and never caught that you had a Seca 650. Sweet! Great bike to get back on the road, I've never seen one in person nor one for sale either. Good luck!

smeagol21b likes this.
  12. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

I've been looking for another for my uncle, he had one when they first came out and said it was his favorite bike, he is also going to be repainting mine! (Eventually)

13. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Well here's the damage.... The owner is going to get me a new valve, I need to get a gasket kit and chain, he found a gasket kit for 120 but I wanna see if I can find it cheaper, found a chain that should fit my bike for 42+shipping.... Any thoughts on those prices? As far as what he is changing me he is only charging me 260 for all the work! Which I think is a great price!

Attached Files:

14. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Just dropped the carbs off today for gnat to work on for me, thanks again buddy!

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  15. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

@k-moe here is a bit of history on the issues with valves

16. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

10,000 rpm will do that or chain broke/skipped. But with only one like that I suspect poor install new guide not reamed after being put in causing partial seizure of valve. Dozens of possible reasons.

17. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Shouldn't need a whole set if it was just done a head and exhaust are all you should need. Check with @chacal on that

18. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

Haha this was from last year, that got "fixed" now dealing with new issues

Toomanybikes and k-moe like this.