1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Keeping the Rotor From Turning During Removal?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Artie(RT), Sep 14, 2008.

1. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Okay,

I have a 1986 Maxim-X with a oil leak (more like a seepage) coming from behind the AC generator's rotor. I have the replacement parts (new bearing, oil seal, etc.) but to remove the rotor I have to keep it from turning when I try to take out the retaining bolt with a socket wrench.

I tried putting the bike in gear (confirmed by trying to roll it) but that doesn't stop the crankcase shaft and hence the rotor from turning. The Maxim-X service manual shows a rotor holding tool which I presume is just for this purpose.

Since I don't have said tool, does anyone have any other clever ideas?

Thanks,

2. bill

bill Active Member

3. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Gotta admit...I would never have thought of that!! Let me see what I can cook up...It's always the little things that stymie the repair!!

4. bill

bill Active Member

Have fun. Give me a call if you need help...

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Go and get a M16X1.5 Hardened Bolt.

Thread the Bolt into the Rotor and apply turning torque on the Bolt and the Rotor will come-ff the Shaft upon which it is Press fitted.

6. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Okay Bill,

That gave me an idea...I think a large Sears strap wrench will hold the rotor if you get it placed just right based on my preliminary tries...but it's a "four hands" job after that...two to hold the strap wrench, two to turn the socket wrench.

I sprayed the retainer bolt with a little penetrating oil for good measure and am going to let it sit for a bit. I've about done all I hve time to do today.

Okay if I give you a call this week to arrange for you to come by and be my extra set of hands later in the week?

7. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Thanks for the suggestion Rick, but unless I misunderstand your answer, that's not the problem I'm dealing with. I have the rotor removal bolt and dowel to remove the rotor from the shaft.

But, I don't have the rotor holding tool which keeps the rotor from turning while you remove the rotor retaining bolt.

8. bill

bill Active Member

no problem I think I am free every evening except Wednesday. You will also need the bolt Rick describes to get the rotor off once you get that bolt off. The thread I send you has alot of good info.

I'm also free this evening if you want to give it a go. Just give me a call..

9. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Bill,

I have the rotor removal bolt and dowel...just don't have the holding tool. Will be in touch.

10. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Might I suggest that you put it in 5th gear and use the rear brake as your holding tool.

11. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

MiCarl,

I'll try your suggestion but I assume the reason for holding the rear brake is to stop the rear wheel from turning, correct? If yes, I put the bike in first gear and left it on its side stand so the rear wheel would be touching the garage surface and therefore not turn by virtue of the friction and its own weight. Whether in first gear or fifth shouldn't make a difference under this circumstance should it?

12. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Oh,

I also thought of one other idea (beyond the strap wrench)... there are some "band-type" automotive oil filter wrenches that might cinch around the rotor and hold it steady if the strap wrench fails to work.

13. roverguy

roverguy Member

Artie:

Try the strap, I just wove it throught the frame and tied it off on the back frame rail. Worked the nuts for on & off.

Good luck.

p.s. I just bought the correct M bolt & tightened it down, popped right off.

14. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The reason for 5th gear is to give the wheel a mechanical advantage over the engine. In first gear the engine has the mechanical advantage.

In 1st gear you can turn the alternator a long way before there is any noticeable motion of the motorcycle. Your wheel has been turning, just too little for you to notice.

15. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Okay,

Thanks for explanation...I intend to try it as soon as I get a free moment which might not be until this weekend. The more I learn the more I learn how much I have to learn.

16. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

MiCarl,

Hey,

Wanted to report back that putting the bike in 5th gear and standing on the break did allow me to remove the rotor retainer bolt...well that is after I got a buddy to be my second pair of hands to help.

But, sadly after all the repairs, I still have the oil leak....I'm going to open up the generator again this weekend to see what I see. I'm thinking now the problem might be the transmission cover seal.

Artie(RT)

17. roverguy

roverguy Member

Art:

Sorry to hear you still have the same problem. Did you try the strap method I used by myself to get my generator nut off?

18. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Gary,

Almost tried it. I had a tie-down strap ready to go because it seemed like a good way to do it without help. But when a buddy came by to help (the extra pair of hands I referred to), the 5th gear/break method worked.

I gotta say though, your method showed amazing ingenuity. I never would have thought of it and will store it in the back of my mind for future use.

Artie(RT)

19. roverguy

roverguy Member

Artie:

Thanks; thing is for the last 5-6 years I don't have anyone except the bride & son to help when I do my projects, so I've come up with a few ideas.

Guess it's my engineering background!

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

why doesn't anyone just smack the wrench with a hammer handle anymore?