1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

LED Turn Signal Questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ads1987, Jun 18, 2018.

1. ads1987

ads1987 New Member

I would like to replace my standard turn signal bulbs with LEDs. In my research, I found that it has to be a 27W 1156 bulb, otherwise the light wont flash. I then found these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MX-1156-LED...388245?hash=item25b3be60d5:g:uvUAAOSwv0tVQvDo

Does anyone have experience with these bulbs? Would they be an appropriate replacement? And what would I have to do to make a lower wattage bulb work? Thanks in advance.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Exactly what to do will depend on which model XJ you have, and what year.

You will at a minimum need a no-load, or adjustable load electronic flasher.
    If you have a model with a single indicator bulb in the dash, you will need an LED bulb with biult in steering diodes, or wire in those diodes yourself (or just pull that indicator bulb and never use it).

If you want to retain the self canceling feature you will need to wire in two relays to replace the stock turn signal relay.

ads1987 likes this.
  3. ads1987

ads1987 New Member

Sorry, it's an 82 XJ750 Maxim.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The electrics are almost identical to the 750 Seca. The information in the link that I provided is what you'll need to do.
    In my opinion the 2 relay solution is ideal, but the single no-load relay will work fine (you'll just have to remember to cancel the signal manually). You will not need to do anything to the dash indicators, since you have an indicator for each side.

ads1987 likes this.
  5. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

ads1987 likes this.
  6. ads1987

ads1987 New Member

Thanks so much for the information! Off to work I go!