1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted Looking for a 1982 Xj 650 turbo master cylinder

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by NickMonak, Feb 19, 2021.

1. NickMonak

NickMonak New Member

Does anybody have one of these around?

I am also looking for a 4-1 Exhaust if there is one around.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Do you have one that just needs rebuilding?

Contact Len/ Chacal
    Info@xj4ever.com

If a rebuild kit is available he will have it in stock.

3. NickMonak

NickMonak New Member

I do not, I am going to a Daytona style bar on my 82 xj 650 no turbo and need a MC that does not sit a such a steep angle.

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

The turbo MC has a larger diameter piston and will result in a brake lever that requires considerably more effort to apply the brakes. I did the exact same swap and now I have a nice rebuilt powder coated turbo MC sitting on the shelf. I looked for a long time when I did my rebuild for a Yamaha badged "flat" MC that would work and never found something. You can find plenty of aftermarket MC's with the original size piston.

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/handlebar-swap-ditching-the-horns.94195/

k-moe likes this.
  5. k-moe

You can also use the MC from a Seca 650. It's a common change when replacing the Maxim 650 bars with Daytonas.

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The 650 Seca is the better one to get. The Turbo's M/C has the sending units for the Atari.
    Even if you don't use the floats or the wiring, I think it has potential to leak at the rubber seals one day.
    It would be the one to have if you wanted the Atari function, thinking 750 Seca conversion or the 750 Maxim with Atari.

k-moe and jayrodoh like this.
  7. k-moe

Thanks. That's something I've been considering. I do like the remote MC on the Seca 750, but it's a pain to check the fluid level on. I've resisted changing it precicely because I want to keep the ATARI. I completely forgot that the Turbo MC has the fluid level float too.

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The low-brake warning light on the Atari can be by-passed with a jumper wire (basically, a short length of wire with a male bullet on both ends) to plug into the lead wires off the dash, this fools the system into thinking the fluid level is okay.

The XJ750 Maxim m/c, although it has the fluid-level sensor and wiring, is designed for "curved" (severely sloping) handlebars and will sit at a very odd angle on "flat" handlebars.

For the conversion that k-moe is contemplating, then yes, the XJ650 Turbo m/c is the one to use, if one wishes to retain the stock low-fluid warning system operating as intended.