1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for chroming work near me any suggestions

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ElkHavenSeca, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Picked up some great 3 way enging guards that need to be blasted and re chromed . Any one have a vendor that is reasonable and trustworthy?

2. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

After they are blasted you'll need to polish them before chroming if you want a really good finish

3. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

might be cheaper to search in your area rather than ship it. Any place with at least 100,000 people usually has a shop nearby. If you do all the prep work for them it will be cheaper.

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

but do expect to shell out a good bit of cash, for some reason its pretty damn expensive.

or at least it is where ive asked around here

5. ElkHavenSeca

I really like the ones i just found . the N O S ones i bought seem a little big . Hope i can find someplace local to bring these back to usable condition.

6. ElkHavenSeca

I only paid 15 dollars for them with free shipping on ebay so i still have room to put some dollars into them.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't blast them; let the plater do what's needed. Both my powdercoating guy and the folks I use for plating DO NOT want any DIY "prep" work done, they just want the raw, rusty parts.

You should be able to get the crash guards re-plated for around $20 ~ $30 each, maybe like $50 for the set. If the plater wants significantly more than that, keep looking.

Here's a tip for finding a shop: It's been my experience that a lot of these kinds of places are SO "old school" that they don't have an internet presence; a lot of them have no computers. Get out the good old yellow pages; or talk to a couple of auto body shops in the area and see who they recommend. Auto bumpers USED to be the "bread and butter" of chrome shops, but how many cars have chrome bumpers any more?

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

you can also find platers for restoration services in Hemmings.

Dave Fox