1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lost power

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Plumper, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Plumper

Plumper Member

Went for a drive today, in town was fine went and picked up my buddy drove over to the highway, once I got on the highway it felt like I lose all my power, I had the throttle wide open and 60km was all I got then my buddy said a big poof of black smoke came out of my muffler, so we pulled over it was ideling fine nothing was smoking nothing leaking , so I said let's go for a bit and see what happens and when I pulled the throttle it accelerated really awesome like a brand new bike and had lots of power and it was fine the rest of the trip, I recently switched to premium gas if that helps,

2. Plumper

Plumper Member

All my spark plugs looks like this, my adjustment screws are all 3 turns out, is this a sign of to much fuel? It only made that one poof of black smoke then it was over

Attached Files:

3. raskal

raskal Active Member

1) that plug looks normal to me.

2) you should keep all your questions about your bike in ONE thread. It's easier for the smart people around here to see the entire history of the bike

Franz, k-moe and Chitwood like this.
  4. Plumper

Plumper Member

Ahh that makes sense I thought new question new thread,

5. Plumper

Plumper Member

My front brakes won't open got a few mins down the highway and smelt burning my rotors were so hot coulda fry a egg on em, gonna take the pistons out and clean and replace the o rings, my question is are these o rings specific to these calipers or can I find these rings at a auto parts store

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They aren't o-rings. The seals have a rectangular profile, and are specific to the caliper. You will not find replacements at a hardware store. You should also rebuild the master cylinder, and check the date codes on the brake lines. If they are rubber and more than 4 years old they should be replaced as well.

7. Plumper

Plumper Member

O ok, I did replace the diagram in the cylinder and clean it out, I looked at my brake line but can't make out any of the numbers there all faded off so I'm guessing there more then 4 years old

8. Plumper

Plumper Member

Just curious, my brakes weren't leaking at all and I didn't wreck the o rings when I took them out, if I just clean all the crude out of the hole and off the pistons can I just reuse the o rings? Or are the o rings what made them not open properly to begin with

9. Plumper

Plumper Member

Which one of the small holes at the bottom is the one that release the pressure from the calipers?

Attached Files:

10. k-moe

11. k-moe

The brake piston seals haren over time, and will eventually cause the pistons to bind. They are inexpensive. Reusing them is a false economy that could lead to taking a trip in a fancy van.

12. Plumper

Plumper Member

Ok thanx

13. Plumper

Plumper Member

New rings are on the way, cutting it close my road test is on the 29th and they said my parts will be by the 20-22 hahah in the mean time I'll clean out other stuff and hope like hell thats it

14. Plumper

Plumper Member

So bikes been running awesome but 1 thing I noticed and I've read though some threads but didn't find my answer is hard hot start, cold start super easy but after I ride of the bike sits for say 10-15 mins I gotta do 1/4 throttle and crank till it catches, I've tried starting it with the gas tank open to see if vent was blocked and same thing I also tried turning to prime and same thing, I've also read that this is a normal operation , dos anyone else's bike do this normally?

15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

valve shims in spec?

Jose Zambrana likes this.
  16. Plumper

Plumper Member

Yup I did those about 2 months ago

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

my seca doesn't do that but i've had other bikes that did.
    there's dirt bikes that have a "hot start" lever that's like the opposite of a choke

18. Plumper

Plumper Member

Interesting ok thanx, maybe that's just how it is

19. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have the same issue and just like you the throttle has to be opened slightly - I don't know the exact time but it seems like it will start very easily up to about the 15 min mark when hot. I did read an earlier post where member CDS1984 solved his issue by lowering the wet set level by about 2mm below spec, and theorized the heating of the carbs was causing a slightly flooded condition. The XJ550's actually have a sheet metal plate to shield the carbs from the crankcase, perhaps it is for that very reason but everyone seems to suggest you can just throw those away?

20. Plumper

Plumper Member

So I'm trying to bleed my front brakes I used a vacuum pump on each caliper about 37 times lever still isn't firm so I'm gonna do the old manual bleed through the calipers, the process I was told by a couple people was squeeze the brake then loosen and tighten the bleed screw, but on a bunch of forum on here I read crack the bleed screw first then squeeze the brake tighten bleed screw release brake, so to end this fustration should I do it there way or the xj way