1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lost power

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Plumper, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Depending on what you get for a speedo, you might not need a cable for the front. I put an aftermarket on my BMWR1100GS Brat build, works fine. Just had to mount a magnet and then measure the rotation of the wheel. Love that gauge...

The RPM is easy but take your time matching up the rest of the lights. It will work great, just have fun doing it.

2. Plumper

Plumper Member

So I’m doing some bike Reno’s this winter, my speedo cable is disconnected right now and I noticed when I spin the front wheel forwards the cable doesn’t spin but when I spin the wheel backwards the cable starts spinning, I didn’t notice it last summer cause I just used my gps for speed but my new speedometer requires the use of the cable so I gotta fix it now

3. Plumper

Plumper Member

Hate to be naggy but any thoughts?

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Once you remove the speedo from the front wheel, you can pull the cable out of the sheathing. This will allow you to look it over, clean it and then lube it up. Inspect it to make sure the wheel end is in good shape and non of inner cable is rusted or has issues.

If this is all good and you are still having issues, you will have to pull the front tire off. The speedo gear fits into the front wheel only one way. It has slots on either side of the axle hole that the speedo need to contact with to make the inner cable spend. If for some reason one of those slots is damaged, this could be the reason why the speedo is not working one direct when the tire is moving.

The simple fix could be that the inner cable is not making contact with the great in the wheel portion, so it is not spinning as it should. When you put it back into the back of the speedo gauge this would take care of that, pushing the inner cable into place.

Some of the wheel drives have a screw or bolt that holds the cable in place, make sure that is in place and installed as it should be. The screw/bold slides by the shoulder of speedo cable on most systems.

5. Plumper

Plumper Member

Awesome thanks dude, it’s a brand new cable and I’m pretty darn sure The piece that drives it on the wheel was installed on the wheel correct, but I’ll give all that stuff a good check, I’ll try and plug it into my new speedo and see if it helps,

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  7. Plumper

Plumper Member

Ok I’ll try and squirt some grease in there, the ears on the wheel were bend found that out last year when I changed my tire, I did bend them back and when I put the drive gear on I spun it by hand and I could see the little turny thing that moves the speedo cable turn so I assumed it was all good, but never really tested it cause my old speedo didn’t work when I got the bike

8. Plumper

Plumper Member

I’m pretty excited for this year, I think I got the bulk of the issues dealt with last year, just been doing cosmetic stuff over the winter, I’m doing rear brake shoes, I got new rear spring shocks, new speedometer to replace old Atari, new round headlight, and I’m getting a sissy bar welded up out of chain, it looks so bad ass haha , and new mirror and hand grips, wanna have it all done ready to roll by April kinda wish I took a before pic but I’ll post an after pic when I’m all done

9. Plumper

Plumper Member

So I’m mounting my new speedometer on the bike and have discovered that my cable is like 6” to short now, is there an extension I can buy? Certain size of cable wire I should look for

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

xjforever sells some extentions

6 8 and 10 inch he also lists cable lengths incase there is on that will fit

HCP17702 Aftermarket drive cable EXTENDER CABLE, extends the length of your stock speedometer or tachometer drive cable (at the gauge end) by 6", just the thing when using modified handlebars or re-located gauges! Saves you the expense of having to buy a completely new drive cable. Correct end fittings allows you to screw this cable "in-between" the end of your current cable and the gauge head fitting.

HCP17703 Aftermarket drive cable EXTENDER CABLE, extends the length of your stock speedometer or tachometer drive cable (at the gauge end) by 8", just the thing when using modified handlebars or re-located gauges! Saves you the expense of having to buy a completely new drive cable. Correct end fittings allows you to screw this cable "in-between" the end of your current cable and the gauge head fitting.

HCP17704 Aftermarket drive cable EXTENDER CABLE, extends the length of your stock speedometer or tachometer drive cable (at the gauge end) by 10", just the thing when using modified handlebars or re-located gauges! Saves you the expense of having to buy a completely new drive cable. Correct end fittings allows you to screw this cable "in-between" the end of your current cable and the gauge head fitting.

11. Plumper

Plumper Member

12. Plumper

Plumper Member

AE0C71D2-B928-4ADA-9782-8DAB00D725E1.jpeg F9ED911A-C5A0-409B-A593-EF3526B7D452.jpeg Well there she is, all my winter Reno’s done new light, speedo, rear shocks, sissy bar/ bags, and couple other small things, went for couple rides this year already everything is running beautiful thanx to everyone for all the advice through the past few months

kosel and Rusty81 like this.