1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted Maxim Headers, collector, mufflers... all of it, for an 82 XJ650

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by BaldWonder, Jul 19, 2015.

1. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

Just like the title says, I'm looking to rebuild this bike, and there is nothing of the exhaust system in place. Even the header collars and nuts are gone. I'll take whatever you've got, so long as it's for an 82 650 Maxim.

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

What's your timeframe? I have a decent shape complete 82 650 exhaust but I'm still up in the air on what I'm doing for exhaust so I may still keep it.

3. BaldWonder

The timeframe is anywhere between whenever-I-get-bored to whenever-the-wife-gets-mad.

I'm debating if I want to order a carb rebuild kit before I source some pipes or after. I'd like to see if I can get a rough start from the bike before committing to rebuilding the carbs, but I don't want to destroy my ear drums or neighborhood relations in the process. On the other hand, I don't want to waste too much build time waiting for pipes to show up.

4. jayrodoh

You do your comp check and shim clearances yet? I'd do that before buying anything.

If you had a way to get it over here, you're welcome to join. Saturday I plan to become the master of multitasking by working on my bike, brewing a 10 gal batch of beer, and smoking a chicken. Should be interesting. Wife is out of town with the kids.

BaldWonder likes this.
  5. BaldWonder

That's a very tempting offer, but I'll be at autocross that morning/day, followed by a dinner party. Mr. Beer kit?

No, I haven't check the clearances yet, either. More or less I was wanting a dry run before that, too. If I can have it all together, and it just at least wants to start (let alone idle) then I'd feel good enough about buying rebuild kits across the board. I'd just hate to dump too much money into new stuff if there's something horribly wrong with it. I did crack the tops of the carbs open, and it's looking alright so far. No signs of high varnish or PO abuse. Needles are true and not mushroomed. Diaphragms are supple and intact. Just run-of-the-mill neglect, so I'm optimistic.

6. jayrodoh

Nice, sounds fun. No Mr. Beer here, all grain rig with up to 30 gallon capacity. Built slowly from free junk over the last 5 years, have brewed almost 1000 gallons on it now.

Yeah, wont run well without exhaust but it should fire. I'd still do a compression check to get a better idea on the internals. Could have a junk cylinder etc. plus carb parts aren't exactly cheap and its time consuming to clean/rebuild (I went the hogfiddles service route). I may be able to give you a hand one of these days if you want.

7. BaldWonder

That needs to be a YouTube video.

Yeah, a compression check in the meantime isn't a bad idea. My father-in-law has a gauge I can re-borrow.

8. BaldWonder

...do the carbs need to be on for a compression check?

9. jayrodoh

Nope. You do your check with throttle wide open, so missing carbs/exhaust doesn't affect it.

10. BaldWonder

Damnit. Didn't know that.

::turns to other bike with untrusting eyes::