1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim XJ550 Cafe Racer Help

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by EvenStephens, Dec 16, 2015.

1. EvenStephens

EvenStephens New Member

Hey everyone! I'm new to riding and as a Christmas present my father-in-law bought me a 81 Maxim. It had some work that needed done but I was thrilled none the less. At first I was thinking bobber but now I'm thinking Cafe Racer style since the controls for your feet are like a sports bike. Well I know what I want for the seat and rear but as far as gas tanks go what would you guys recommend? I was thinking a Seca tank but dont know which year and size would fit. Any suggestions on what I should do or any advice?

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

any other tank would require mods than the maxim tank a seca tank may fit but the triple tree may hit it .
    for the seat you will have to make your own pan and build it your self no aftermarket out there.
    I am waiting for a set of keys to show up and will see how my seca tank will swap onto my maxim let you know whau i find out with.
    this mod forum has some examples of seat mods you may be able to use search for it or may have to go through the threads looking

you will most likely have to do something to the read fender too
    well some good news the seca seat fits the profile of the maxim frame.
    because the seca seat is attached with hinges and a lock you would have to add something to hold it on
    if you cut off the lock box frame you will have to reenforce the tail and or you could probaly mount the seca tail in place of the maxim lock box. if your intrested I will get you some photos and measurements. of the frame.
    will also check the tank out tomorrow

you may want to go through the motor first before adding expense to mods

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  3. XJ550H

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  4. XJ550H

seca tank and seat on Maxim
    tank hits reflector saddle if removed you could possibly move tank forward a little more but as it sits there is only 1/4 inch clearance from t but you will still need a second mriple tree full turn left and right. if you move it forward you will dent tank. tank mountong hole is 1-1/2 inch back so you would need to make a bracket to mount.
    seat fits nice you could attach the front angle bracket from maxim seat to hold down front but will need a second mounting point to secure seat pan
    seat still has a rise in it but if you start with the pan you could fab it flat. remove chain box and put seca tail on it and your well on the way.
    looks like a good base to start with
    maxim seca 001 (2).jpg maxim seca 002.JPG maxim seca 005.JPG maxim seca 006.JPG maxim seca 007.JPG

5. XJ550H

seat is not as flat as it is on a Seca a little lift in front would fix that. seat does hit the points under neath that stock seat hits
    maxim seca 001.JPG

6. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Believe me, I can vouch for that.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Oh, BK. Your avatar pic seems so appropriate...:(

8. EvenStephens

EvenStephens New Member

Hey thanks guys. The engine and everything is sound took it around a few and nothing wrong SO FAR. I have a Seca tank coming in so that would be something I need to work with but the fender and seat are taken care of for now. Pics or anything else of your guys rides would be more than welcomed.