1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mechanic in Tucson?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by vagabond, Jun 29, 2016.

1. vagabond

vagabond New Member

My '80 XJ650 Maxim is giving me a lot of trouble. I'd like to fix most of the smaller stuff myself, but I'm stumped on why my battery won't stay charged for more than 24 hours.

I'm going to dig for more clues and continue to educate myself, but I wanted to get recommendations on mechanics in town just as a backup plan.

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in Tucson, AZ? My roommate was recommended On Any Moto, but he said "they were expensive and didn't fix the problem." Which may and may not mean anything. This is my only transportation so I can't have my bike sitting at a mechanic for more than a few days. I'm hoping to find someone fair and fast.

2. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

With these bikes, you are your own "best mechanic'. It's difficult to find someone who can work on a 30+ year old bike.

rocs82650 likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you will want to ohm out your alternator , stator and rotor and check the brush leangth in the alternator
    if you have a manual it should have a test for the diodes in the voltage rectifier as well.
    check out this link for the specs and trouble shooting tips
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide
    it is near the bottom titled
    DOUBLE BONUS ROUND!! Charging System Electrical Specifications:
    it should help you solve the problems

how old is the battery?
    is the acid level full add distilled water if it is low

connectors all clean?
    battery terminals all clean
    ground to motor and frame clean
    clean ground at ring terminals at coils and ground wire at pickup coils under left cover

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

do you ride it in this 24 hours or is it just sitting? if it dies while just sitting, you need a new battery

CactusJack578 and k-moe like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

+1
    New battery. Check the charging circuits to rule-out that causing the batery to be damaged and fail.

6. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

Hi, vagabond, inquiring minds want to know. I know it's been a while but how did you do on your MC riders license test? I searched and didn't see it anywhere in your old posts. Did you pass first time out? I love your attitude toward your bike and I'm rooting for you. Did you finally get the bugs out of your bike? Is she up and running still? Love to see women out on the road on their own bikes. Take care.

7. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

+1. It's going to be difficult to keep it running in good form if you don't.

Gary H.