1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Metal shavings in case from drilling out bolt

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eigenseca, Apr 20, 2020.

1. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Hello, I am in the process of splitting the cases on my 1982 Maxim 750 and had some issues today. I don't know what the proper terms are so I will reference my pictures. In the first picture you see the area where one of the gears for the driveshaft go. As you can see in the top left corner there is a bolt has the head drilled out. When trying to remove the bolt head stripped so my friend decided to try and drill out the head. We will have to wait till the cases are split and continue trying to remove it. Before the drilling started we laid down some towels underneath to try and catch the metal shavings but there are still some shavings that escaped and possibly fell down further in the case. For example in picture 2 the bearing does not spin very freely now and I assume its because there are metal shavings between the rollers. I wanted to ask what yall thought would be the best method for flushing the cases once I get them split to make sure I get all the shavings out, I also wanted to ask what yall might do from here to remove the rest of the bolt. I feel like a bonehead for drilling while the cases were still together and causing metal shavings to get inside but it is what it is.
    IMG_20200420_190614.jpg

IMG_20200420_190631.jpg

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Cobalt drills is what I use to do this broken bolt removal just make sure you keep it square and don't damage any of the threads in the case. Once the cases are split you can apply some heat to the broken bolt area to allow for easier removal. Should be easy enough to brush out the cases once they are split, there should be no swarf in the oilways. A light tap of the bearings on a bench may remove the swarf from them or a vacuum cleaner.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  3. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Thank you for your response, this is the first time I have ever opened the engine on anything so seeing the metal fly around freaked me out lol. I may try some brakeleen as well and see if that will flush them out.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

once you open the cases that bearing should come out. use a magnet first then i used the garden hose for a few minutes.
    i hosed the whole engine out to be sure there was no grit anywhere. if you don't use anything that takes the oil off there will still be a film of oil to keep it from rusting.
    but you want to get oil in it as fast as you can, don't wait a week

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you drill things a good glob of grease around the object and on the bit will catch most of the chips

6. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Thanks, I may try some brakeleen as well.

7. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

good tip!

8. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Question... Do roller bearings make noise if they are unoiled. I was trying to remove any possible metal shavings from the bigger roller bearing thats apart of the shaft held in with the bolts I was removing. I sprayed it good with brakeleen and vacuumed it and ran over it with a strong magnet. I noticed before I reoiled it I could spin it fairly freely but there was some noise when I spun it. After oiling the noise is gone as I would expect. I don't see any shavings in the bearing so I'm not really sure what to think.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

how hard is it to replace if you put it back in and its bad should be the question you ask.

10. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Fair point, I just can't be spending money willy nilly though. Thats why I wanted to know if they normally make noise or not when unoiled. If they don't then I will keep trying to flush it out.